Oregon

Yes I just got them this spring so not even a year yet. I figure it has something to do with weather. I haven't seen signs of critters I treat regularly for mites and lice and have a enclosed run so no skunks. We have got tarps to put around and over the run fresh dry bedding. My hubby is going to put the heat light in for night time ( so they don't get cold) the run did get muddy this week so I've got some straw to lay down in the run. But I'm a little worried about them I know I over worry being a first timer but this isn't normal is it?
Our temperature tends to be closer to CJ than GP and we don't use heat lamps unless we get extreme snap. Your girls will be fine as long as they are dry and out of drafts. If we get the week of 28° for the daily high temp I will probably give them some heat before bed but they usually don't need it

So here's another stupid question my son has helped me with the daily routine of feeding, watering, coop cleaning and attention giving. Three days after he left for college is when they stopped laying.could him not being around be part of why they aren't laying? I know this is probably the dumbest question I've ever asked but just trying to find out why and how to help. The daylight thing makes sense will they just adjust to that on their own?
No you either need a light in the coop yo add light hours or they won't start up till spring again when the days get longer again

I've set up a special coop and run for cockerels so I can grow them out a bit before they go to freezer camp. I have an absolutely gorgeous mutt rooster that I almost hate to eat. I think he is part Silver Laced Wyandotte and part Easter Egger ... he weighs a ton! I should have moved him ages ago.

Can you keep him for stud? Or are you in the city and not allowed to keep roosters? We ate all but one of our cockerels last time and we spared that one on account of being so handsome. He's a good roo too, very watchful and good with the ladies.

Last edited:
Locally to me would be anywhere in the Central Oregon area, the mid Willamette Valley (Eugene-ish), and around Medford.

I'm in Lebanon, about an hour NE of Eugene. Not sure if that meets your criteria of local but it's always nice to meet another Willamette Valley chicken lover. :)

Can you keep him for stud? Or are you in the city and not allowed to keep roosters? We ate all but one of our cockerels last time and we spared that one on account of being so handsome. He's a good roo too, very watchful and good with the ladies.

We are in the country but already have plenty of roosters. We've decided to not keep mixed roos ... even though some of them are cool looking. We're just keeping the females for replacement layers while we transition to a dual purpose breed.

Does anyone have a Coocoo Marans Rooster they are not needing ?
a Friend in Northbend lost her roo and has some Very very nice hens ,
let me know Tammy

ZANNA ?????? Anyone ????

Does anyone have a Coocoo Marans Rooster they are not needing ?
a Friend in Northbend lost her roo and has some Very very nice hens ,
let me know Tammy

ZANNA ?????? Anyone ????
Only have Black Copper Marans, one colour of Marans and two other breeds is enough :) I don't know of anyone in Oregon with Breeder Cuckoos other than hatchery stock.

OK she got hers from a breeder in I think she said Mass and moved here Brought all her birds with her LOL musta been fun she even has the Beautiful Rare pheasants and some old stock burbon reds I asked her to Join here so lets hope . Lady amherst are amazing

Anyone interested in Gold Laced Wyandottes? I took 4 in on a trade, it appears to be 1 cockerel and 3 pullets. All about 4 weeks old. I also have 3 black cochin bantams, one is a sizzle, all three appear to be pullets. They are 10-12 weeks old. Trying to clear out the brooder coops for my Orps. lol.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom