Oregon

Oh, I know exactly where La Pine is, we have a cabin out there. Do you get coyotes and other critters trying to get into your coop? Where I live we have minks and raccoons that try to get it, and sometimes skunks, but they aren't very smart at getting into the coops so they usually don't win, you can just smell them the next day, and the chickens hate the smell.
We have 'em all...raccoon, weasel, coyotes especially, and hawks. My coop and run are built like Ft. Knox! Weather today is kind of overcast and a whopping 50 degrees right now...oh joy, middle of June and we're still cold over here...aaack!!

I'm in Hood River.

There's a bald eagle hunting over my backyard right now. I'm thankful my chickens are still babies-- 4 weeks old-- and safely inside!

I'm in Hood River.

There's a bald eagle hunting over my backyard right now. I'm thankful my chickens are still babies-- 4 weeks old-- and safely inside!
Yikes! Keep 'em safe!!
hide.gif

I know!

This is part of why I'm hesitating about where exactly to put the coop. I wish I could see my yard from the air so I would know where the ladies would have the most cover from raptors. I can guess based on where the shade falls, but there's a reason we say that someone who is watchful and attentive to small details is eagle-eyed.

Very, very glad the chickens are still small enough for the brooder this month. Hopefully by the time they move outside the eagles' nesting season will be wrapping up and they won't be desperate enough to wander this far from the waterways.

Use Google Earth and you can zero in on your property practically to the square inch! I live in the proverbial boondocks and was amazed at how accurate and "live" it is. Shoot, if I'd been standing in my little front yard I would have been able to see ME! Give it a try...it's great!

Does anyone have photos or information on what they had at the poultry swap in Terrebonne last Saturday? I want to know if I really missed anything, because I was saving room in my incubator if they had any hatching eggs I would have wanted.

Does anyone have photos or information on what they had at the poultry swap in Terrebonne last Saturday? I want to know if I really missed anything, because I was saving room in my incubator if they had any hatching eggs I would have wanted.
If you go to the Facebook page, go to the files section and look at the bringing/wanting list, all of the vendors list what they were going to bring. It may only be up for a few more days. I was not there so I don't know. I only have the time/energy to be a vendor at the Spring and Fall Swap although I may also go to the Summer one in Brownsville in August as it is so close to home :)

Is there anyone in Central/Eastern Oregon looking for a cockerel? I have a Cochin x d'Uccle mix that needs to go. He was always a good boy, but when I introduced the 10 teens to the flock, he would chase them down to attack them. He's been in solitary for at least a month (inside the coop, so he still can see and "interact" with the rest of the flock), and I've got someone who will butcher him for me, but I would rather see if anyone might want him first.

Like most boys, he doesn't like to be caught, but once you're holding him, you can do pretty much anything with him without a fuss. He got along fine with the rest of the flock, he just decided he didn't like the younger ones.

I really can't travel anywhere other than, at most, to Bend (from Fossil). Shipping is too costly for me, also.

Back
Top Bottom