Oregon

Hello Oregon peeps! I live in Saint Helens Or. I just received 8 Blue Wheaten eggs and am setting them tonight after the 12hour setting time. Anyone know what the law is for Columbia county on owning Roosters? Just moved out here from North Plains. I rehomed 30 plus chickens before the move.

Thanks!

Tami

Hi Tami! I am in Columbia county too. Roosters are allowed here, outside of city limits. Do you know if you are actually within the St Helens city limits, or outside it?

hi guys! I'm kind of worried about this bird flu outbreak. I live fairly south of cottage grove and maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems that wild birds have been around my chickens more often. and tonight when I went to do my chicken chores and i found a dead bird right outside the run! it looked like it had been killed by something (please i hope a chicken didn't kill it) lots of feathers no blood. should I send this wild bird somewhere to be tested? what should I do with my chickens?

No blood? No open wounds? That would concern me. Well, any dead bird outside my coop would concern me...but as little as I know about avian flu, no open wounds or blood would rule out a predatory attack...or so I would think; although, I suppose a chicken COULD have killed it. For peace of mind, I would probably have my birds tested. I'm not a expert, though. I am just a little obsessive and would worry and worry until I had an answer. So that's just what I would do.

OOOO.....Another from Columbia County!! I'm not sure. Just moved here 2 months ago. How would I find this info out?
big_smile.png
Hi neighbor!
Here is a map.. inside the orange dotted lines is city limits:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=xg3Hw8imAJDHISuVb-rxUw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cGU

if that long link doesn't work... it is a PDF when you google search for "st helens city limits" first link

hi guys! I'm kind of worried about this bird flu outbreak. I live fairly south of cottage grove and maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems that wild birds have been around my chickens more often. and tonight when I went to do my chicken chores and i found a dead bird right outside the run! it looked like it had been killed by something (please i hope a chicken didn't kill it) lots of feathers no blood. should I send this wild bird somewhere to be tested? what should I do with my chickens?

I agree with Marie, have them checked to be on the safe side.

big_smile.png
Hi neighbor!
Here is a map.. inside the orange dotted lines is city limits:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=xg3Hw8imAJDHISuVb-rxUw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cGU

if that long link doesn't work... it is a PDF when you google search for "st helens city limits" first link

And hello to you neighbor! :) It's so hard to read. Looks like the orange dotted lines are all over the place. I'm thinking I may be outside city limits. Do you know where Deer Island road is? I'm on the river side of that road. The only problem is if I am not inside city limits, I still have neighbors...lol

I wouldn't be to worried since it looks like something killed it. From what I understand it's more of a worry keeping them from water towel.

No blood? No open wounds? That would concern me. Well, any dead bird outside my coop would concern me...but as little as I know about avian flu, no open wounds or blood would rule out a predatory attack...or so I would think; although, I suppose a chicken COULD have killed it. For peace of mind, I would probably have my birds tested. I'm not a expert, though. I am  just a little obsessive and would worry and worry until I had an answer. So that's just what I would do. 

I agree that without blood or wounds it is very suspicious and you should call the feds to see if they want to pick up the carcass. If your birds are free range it is possible for only one to get the flu, but it's pretty contagious so likely you will see more dead birds within a few days if you have a small flock. I'm pretty sure the feds would want to make sure it's not there and likely do the test for you. Do you need the contact info?

And hello to you neighbor! :) It's so hard to read. Looks like the orange dotted lines are all over the place. I'm thinking I may be outside city limits. Do you know where Deer Island road is? I'm on the river side of that road. The only problem is if I am not inside city limits, I still have neighbors...lol

Darn! To me it looks like you are within city limits... I think within city limits, roosters are not allowed. Chickens are allowed, and you can make some type of request(?) to the city to have more than 3 hens. I am not sure exactly where to find the local law information..

Darn! To me it looks like you are within city limits... I think within city limits, roosters are not allowed. Chickens are allowed, and you can make some type of request(?) to the city to have more than 3 hens. I am not sure exactly where to find the local law information..

Ya, I noticed after looking at it a little closer, I am in the city limits. Only 3 hens??? Well, this isn't going to work for me. LOL I don't think my neighbors will have a problem with me having a few more than 3. My limit here, for myself is 8.

Back
Top Bottom