Oregon

Is summer liquid something a person can pick up at a farm store like Wilco?

Thanks spellcheck! I tried to type Sulmet.
Maybe, it was backordered one year and I panicked..... You can buy powdered form most anywhere, sulfamethazine but I always get confused about dosage and it does not mix nearly as well in the water. When sulmet appeared on the market again I ordered a gallon and have not had to treat since. When I see you again I will bring you a quart just so you have it on hand. I dont' think you will ever have an issue though with broody raised chicks.

Corid is readily available and most say it works, I have just had better luck with the sulmet.

I just started treatment with Sulmet yesterday, one of my 2 week old chicks has been off for 3 days and was not looking good...lots of brown/red runny poops, lethargic, standing all the time puffed up, sleeping (standing up) a lot, not really eating or doing normal chick playing around. I figured better try it just in case it is cocci before I just let her die. One day on it and she already seems much improved...back to eating, sticking with the other chicks and even doing some practice flights again. I hope she pulls through. I had to treat my 1 week olds too, they had been around the 2 week olds droppings in a box. Hope they all pull through.

When can I try giving them some clumps of dirt and grass from my yard?

Yay! An Oregon thread! Hello fellow chicken people!

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Thanks, I do have chick grit...I will make sure the grass isn't too long also.

I started the sulmet at 1pm yesterday...the one I was worried about looks so much better already!

I'm in the midst of cocci treatment with Corid myself. I've never dealt with it before but after having two hens look like they were on death's door suddenly, I narrowed it down to cocci after much research. They have perked up considerably and seem to be back to normal, and hopefully we are in the clear for now. I treated my whole flock.

Last edited:
Maybe, it was backordered one year and I panicked..... You can buy powdered form most anywhere, sulfamethazine but I always get confused about dosage and it does not mix nearly as well in the water. When sulmet appeared on the market again I ordered a gallon and have not had to treat since. When I see you again I will bring you a quart just so you have it on hand. I dont' think you will ever have an issue though with broody raised chicks.

Corid is readily available and most say it works, I have just had better luck with the sulmet.

Awesome offer! We do broody-hatch & raise our chicks, and so far haven't had a problem with cocci, but now that I'm hatching "good" birds I do want to be able to jump on ANY problem before it is a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom