Oregon

Lebanon and surrounding areas, we will be moving to, and starting a small hobby farm, just outside the city in another 2-3 weeks. I was hoping to get some leads on feed stores, private sellers etc. for supplies to include chicken feed +, dog food and other misc items used on a farm. I like to buy local if at all possible but the price still needs to be reasonable. Thank you, looking forward to moving to Oregon!

Hi and welcome to the area, I just moved to Benton county area two weeks ago (little more west form Leb) and seems like the popular feed/supply store around here is the Wilco, though there are many others around. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but I am hoping to start chickens (and maybe goats) in the spring.

There is a Poultry& Seed swap at the Benton County fair coming up soon:
Saturday, October 10th, 9am-4p.
If you have moved in by this time, this may be a good place to find out where and who to buy from in the area!

Hello Riddleme!!!
How many chickens do you have? I've had a bad time with raccoons this summer and lost 5 hens. I'm down to 4 older hens and a new young rooster. Once I have my trailer situated and converted into my new chicken coop I think I'll raise up some new chicks or else bring some of my son's yearlings over to my place. My hens don't lay much anymore but I have a good friend that I gave my ducks to that provides me with hen eggs, duck and turkey eggs regularly. :) I need a knee replacement and have had a lot of injuries to my ankles, legs and knees so can't get around too good. I hope to rearrange things with my neighbor's help next spring to make caring for them easier. I used to have goats also but had to give them away because I just couldn't get out to care for them last year. Do you have heritage breeds? How are you set up for cold weather and snow?

Hello Riddleme!!!
How many chickens do you have? I've had a bad time with raccoons this summer and lost 5 hens. I'm down to 4 older hens and a new young rooster. Once I have my trailer situated and converted into my new chicken coop I think I'll raise up some new chicks or else bring some of my son's yearlings over to my place. My hens don't lay much anymore but I have a good friend that I gave my ducks to that provides me with hen eggs, duck and turkey eggs regularly. :)  I need a knee replacement and have had a lot of injuries to my ankles, legs and knees so can't get around too good. I hope to rearrange things with my neighbor's help next spring to make caring for them easier. I used to have goats also but had to give them away because I just couldn't get out to care for them last year.  Do you have heritage breeds? How are you set up for cold weather and snow?
I'm pushing triple digits, though that number will drop some after I finish my next round of butchering. I'd be happy if I were down to 50 going into winter. For housing I have two large shed style coops, one 10x12 and one 10x20, plus an overflow 6x20 open front building, all with attached runs, plus a 1 1/2 acre free range area. I haven't done anything special for the cold, ie no heat lamps or any of that, and I've never lost a bird. They just have good, draft free housing with a thick bed of shavings on the floor, and 2x4 roosts, so they can spread out or hunker together as desired. I also primarily have strawberry and cushion comb breeds, so don't have to worry about frostbite on the combs. And they are used to free ranging, so unless the snow gets really deep they don't tend to hang in the coop. Even if it does, if I shovel some paths/clear areas, or toss some hay on top the snow, they come on out of the coop.

There is a Poultry& Seed swap at the Benton County fair coming up soon:
Saturday, October 10th, 9am-4p.
If you have moved in by this time, this may be a good place to find out where and who to buy from in the area!
Hi! It's been a while since I posted. Hope everyone survived the hot, hot summer. I lost a couple older hens this summer - I think it was just too **** hot for them. I'm interested in the poultry swap as a way to get rid of some roosters...

Has anyone here ever sold their roosters to Geren's Farm Supply in Boring? I have two large roosters I'm looking to get rid of, as well as 5 young cockerels. Geren's will take them, and then they sell them to whomever wants them, no questions asked. I'm conflicted because of the potential for cockfighting, but then I'm too much of a softy to have them processed (which I have done in the past at Harringtons). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Gerens.

Or, if anyone happens to need a huuuuuge gentle giant of an Australorp rooster or a beautiful Blue andalusian/Barred Rock cross rooster? Free to a good home!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom