Oregon

Does anyone in the Salem (or very close surrounding area) have non-hatchery, high quality laying breed hatching eggs? I'd love to find Barnevelders but am very open to any breeds with super fluffy plumage and very colorful roosters. My 8 year old's Barnevelder roo had to be euthanized today and my son is having a real hard time with the loss of his pet (which he hand raised to be very tame). He has asked to hatch out some chicks to hand raise in hopes to end up with a rooster. I want to stay away from breeds that tend to lean toward more aggressive and no bantams.

Does anyone in the Salem (or very close surrounding area) have non-hatchery, high quality laying breed hatching eggs? I'd love to find Barnevelders but am very open to any breeds with super fluffy plumage and very colorful roosters. My 8 year old's Barnevelder roo had to be euthanized today and my son is having a real hard time with the loss of his pet (which he hand raised to be very tame). He has asked to hatch out some chicks to hand raise in hopes to end up with a rooster. I want to stay away from breeds that tend to lean toward more aggressive and no bantams.
TLS Ranch has Barnies, she is in the Redding, CA area. Not very close but she may ship.

I am in Jefferson and breed Black Copper Marans, Delawares and New Hampshires. Most of my birds are currently in molt right now, laying is very slow and I suspect fertility in the Cocks to be pretty low with the shortened daylight hours. If you are still looking in Jan/Feb. and are interested in any of my breeds let me know :)

Does everybody provide additional heat for your chickens during the winter. Near the Portland area we do not experience freezing temps too often. I've read it's best not to provide heat so your chicken acclimate to the weather and to prevent shocking their system. Any thoughts?

No heat here. I don't think there's anywhere in this state you need to supplement with heat. As long as the birds have shelter from wind and rain, they can easily handle sub-freezing (and even sub zero, actually) temps. I've even had birds roost in trees year round. When we got those great wind/rain storms we'd joke about chickens blowing out of trees and getting flung into the house...never happened.

Does everybody provide additional heat for your chickens during the winter. Near the Portland area we do not experience freezing temps too often. I've read it's best not to provide heat so your chicken acclimate to the weather and to prevent shocking their system. Any thoughts?

I don't plan on providing any heat. Just keep them dry and draft free. We'll see how it goes this winter.

No heat here. I don't think there's anywhere in this state you need to supplement with heat. As long as the birds have shelter from wind and rain, they can easily handle sub-freezing (and even sub zero, actually) temps. I've even had birds roost in trees year round. When we got those great wind/rain storms we'd joke about chickens blowing out of trees and getting flung into the house...never happened.
I'm in Grants Pass also. Our place is neat were the Rogue and Applegate rivers merge and cold Fog gets locked in around us quite often. We will have a week where the daily high temp is 28°.

I turned on the heat lamps in the coops and found they were really only generating moisture which is worse than the cold. No more heating coops for me.

Our birds don't roost in the trees, to many critters that would enjoy a chicken dinner. They all go inside thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom