Oregon

Last year was my first year with silkies and they did fine. I only had two, and they did sleep with the other birds. folks say silkies don't roost, but my coop has shelving running around the interior (former greenhouse) and they'd fly up there and sleep. I think one bird, if it didn't roost, may get too cool. But if you have at least two they'll be fine. I have one brooding right now, she's by herself and doing fine. Hopefully chicks in a week!

Does everybody provide additional heat for your chickens during the winter.  Near the Portland area we do not experience freezing temps too often.  I've read it's best not to provide heat so your chicken acclimate to the weather and to prevent shocking their system.  Any thoughts?

I have pulled my Silkie girls in the house when it was freezing temperature all night long I put them in their dedicated laundry basket in the mud room. I make sure to take them back out early in the morning before they dump out. My three hens I have let brood in the house before and they're trained like the dog. I really hope I can get the three youngsters trained without letting them brood eggs. Never put a heat lamp in your coop, so many cases of fires, property damage and dead birds from them. I do not nescessarily think they need heat here but I don't leave the dog or cat out when it's freezing so I bring the girls in too.

Last edited:
I have pulled my Silkie girls in the house when it was freezing temperature all night long I put them in their dedicated laundry basket in the mud room. I make sure to take them back out early in the morning before they dump out. My three hens I have let brood in the house before and they're trained like the dog. I really hope I can get the three youngsters trained without letting them brood eggs. Never put a heat lamp in your coop, so many cases of fires, property damage and dead birds from them. I do not nescessarily think they need heat here but I don't leave the dog or cat out when it's freezing so I bring the girls in too.
I think I will do that, and bring them into our attached garage when it's freezing. I have a large wire dog crate I can use for the few days/nights we reach freezing temps.

How do you train them? That's great!

Eugene, Oregon. Wondering if the lean to (the back is covered with tarp now), the side of the house, and underneath their coop will be enough shelter for them this winter, or if we will need to create more dry places? Also, I know we will need to replace the straw eventually, and was wondering what others are using?

Thanks,

Susan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom