Oregon

Eugene, Oregon. Wondering if the lean to (the back is covered with tarp now), the side of the house, and underneath their coop will be enough shelter for them this winter, or if we will need to create more dry places? Also, I know we will need to replace the straw eventually, and was wondering what others are using?

Thanks,

Susan

It's a dilemma in our wet state. I have a large run that is only partially covered. So, under the covered part I use hay. The chickens love it. For the uncovered part, I have spread sand and cover that with leaves. We'll see how it goes. Inside the coop I use pine shavings, which for me have worked extremely well. This is my first year with chickens, so everything's a trial run.

We are in the process of covering all of our 16x8 run. I can't wait! The part of the run that isn't covered now doesn't get used at all in the rain. The base of the run is river silt and on top is a layer of wood chips and fir nuggets. So far that has been working. It decomposes over time and turns into a mulch that you can use in your garden. I put a fresh layer on as needed and try to rake it a bit everyday. It seems to drain well, but in the rain we get around here it's still damp. The girls are able to dig and take dust baths as long as it's dry. In the coop I put down a dusting of DE and Sweet PDZ (Zeolite) then a mix of 80% pine shavings to 20% bedding pellets with Zeolite. It keeps the coop nice and dry. I use one of those doggie poo shovel set ups to pick up obvious poo and make sure to stir things around so any damp spots dry out quickly. In your case you could probably use a cat box scoop to do quick clean-ups and stir things around. In my mind the dryer the better to keep healthy birds. One thing you might really like is using a water bottle with a screw in poultry water nipple http://www.amazon.com/OOOUSE-Nipple...6668300&sr=8-5&keywords=poultry+water+nipples I will try to post a pic of the water bottle my husband put together for inside the coop. You would probably need 2 for your run. Then you don't have to worry about water being tipped over or getting dirty. In the run I use a 5 gal. bucket with water nipples on the bottom. On Amazon you can get a 2.5 quart bucket waterer. I don't see a lid though. It would need a lid for sure. http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Quart-Chi...46668559&sr=8-6&keywords=poultry+water+bucket Of course you have to be able to hang it, but they are awesome!!!!

Our coop and run have evolved since it was first built. There were a lot of things I didn't anticipate. You'll figure out what works best for you. It always seems like I learn something new.
smile.png

We have a covered run (18' x 40') that has about 4" of sand on it. Underneath the sand is clay which slopes toward the back corner. Along the two low sides we installed a french drain. So, even though rain can blow in the sides of the run (through the 1/2" hardware cloth), the sand drains very well and doesn't stay wet. The hen house (8 x 12) is at one end of the run and is raised up about 20" with the two exposed sides shielded with polycarbonate Greenhouse panels. This gives the girls a place to hunker down when it is raining hard. The feeders and waterers are in the center of the covered run or toward the leeward side, so they stay out of the rain as well.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them as I have been very concerned about getting the chickens through the rainy season. They seem to be ok now, and I would hate for them to go downhill on us.

I think I will start by having my parents observe them. If they start looking miserable, then we will know that they need more dry space. I will also try to persuade my Dad to replace the straw with something else when it wears out (probably pine chips). Damp straw seems to me like it would be colder on their feet than other options and might lead to foot issues.

I like the idea of the bucket waterer, as long as I can make sure its at the proper height. My Welsummer's comb is so big that she's learned to drink from our buckets sideways instead of facing them (her comb gets in the way otherwise). She will also run up and drink whenever I take out the makeshift chicken nipple waterer that I have
D.gif

One question I had was bringing them in on frosty nights. In theory, I know they should be able to survive frost just fine. However, given the moisture and our small coop I'm concerned about frostbite. Is bringing them in our garage something that might be necessary for frostbite prevention? If so, I will check with my parents about setting up temporary sleeping quarters in our garage.

Last edited:
Since you are only in Eugene and not the Eastern Oregon deep freeze, I would not bring them inside your garage as there really isn't a need to. They need to remain acclimated to the outdoor run. You can place the coop on a low table or something so it is raised off the ground and out of puddling, then put a lot of dry pine shavings inside for warmth.

I like the Natures pine shavings you can get at Wilco best as they are the driest and fluffiest. That stuff does really well in my run keeping mud and smell down. We used wood chips (free from PGE) for the yard areas where they roam.

Half the time my birds are out standing in the Portland rain without a care. As long as they have dry shelter, let them choose where they want to be.

Thanks for the reply. The garage is unheated if that makes a difference with the acclimatization issues? However, I agree it might not be necessary. I will see how they do first.

I will check the Wilco shavings out, as I agree they might be helpful for our run. The pine shavings that we did try seemed to get trodden into the mud pretty fast (also, my Dad was worried about them blowing away and took the hose to them
sad.png
). I would love do some tweaking (different pine shavings, more depth?) and see if I might be able to get them to work.

Hi. Someone told me to post this here. I have 3 Easter eggers and 1 gold laced Wyandotte that are all 3 years old. I am trying to get rid of them because I need more room in my coop and I don't know if they will lay next year (they have all stopped for the winter). I live in the country outside of Wilsonville and would prefer to not have to drive somewhere. If someone doesn't take them soon I'm not sure what I will do with them but I'm not going to keep them. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Would love to send them to a good home!
big_smile.png

-Daisy

Hi! I'm here outside of Florence, OR and wondering if there are any other chicken fanciers nearby. We don't get coastal weather here...more like Eugene. I have 9 chickens. Some Rhode Island Reds, 1 golden sex link, 2 Brahmas. I love chickens.

Hi!  I'm here outside of Florence, OR and wondering if there are any other chicken fanciers nearby.  We don't get coastal weather here...more like Eugene.  I have 9 chickens.  Some Rhode Island Reds, 1 golden sex link, 2 Brahmas.  I love chickens.

Hello from Bandon.

Back
Top Bottom