Oregon

Been awhile since I've popped in, although I read all the posts here. Just too excited and needed to tell someone that I got an egg today!
ya.gif
I have only three EEs right now who are almost 4 yrs old and didn't think I'd see one for a few months still. Rosie has been squatting for me the last two days, so I was very hopeful. Can't wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Been awhile since I've popped in, although I read all the posts here. Just too excited and needed to tell someone that I got an egg today!
ya.gif
I have only three EEs right now who are almost 4 yrs old and didn't think I'd see one for a few months still. Rosie has been squatting for me the last two days, so I was very hopeful. Can't wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Congrats. Your hens are 4 years or 4 months?

Hello from a beautifully rainy Eugene today!

Looking to start my own small flock of girls in the next couple of months. Does anyone have suggestion on which breeds I should be looking at?

I'm looking to start off small (3 or 4 girls maybe a duck too) medium or large egg, no color preference, 5-7 eggs per week. Maybe some bug control too? I've done a ton of research and I'm going to lie, I want one of everything! Leaning towards Buff Orpingtons, Black/Red Sexlinks and Australorp's.

My coop and run are almost ready and could house up to 8 but for this year, I'd like to stay with just a few. I can always add a few more next spring.

Any suggestions/advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!!
Hi -- I'm just up the road near Junction City!

We just started keeping chickens last year, and we went to Wilco and bought whatever their little sheet said would be a good layer.

However, after doing research, we have fallen in love with heritage breeds, so if we could go back and do it again, we would not have bought the Sex Links. (FWIW, our Black Star is the flock leader, lays the best of any of our chickens, and has a great personality!)

We love our Orpingtons (we don't have Buff, we have Blue and Black) and our New Hampshire Reds.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom