Oregon

How did the class go? So helpful for me. I will take her advanced class. Hope she brought her chickens to class!

It was good. We went over the basics of what you should have in your first aid kit. Tonya and Chris talked about common problems (worms, mites, bumblefoot, etc.) and what to do for each. They brought Fluffy Sunshine and Jacques Cousteau (Jack) with them, and Fluffy was kind enough to pretend her wing was broken so we could see how to immobilize it with vet wrap.

My husband, who is squeamish, found it difficult to sit through all of the poop, fungus, worm, pus, etc. talk. It didn't faze me at all.

I did learn some things, which is always good. And I love the Urban Farm Store. They carry a lot of things that I can't find closer to home, so I came away with a bag full of 'stuff'.

Does she have an intermediate class, as well as the advanced? Or just a beginner and advanced?

It was good.  We went over the basics of what you should have in your first aid kit.  Tonya and Chris talked about common problems (worms, mites, bumblefoot, etc.) and what to do for each.  They brought Fluffy Sunshine and Jacques Cousteau (Jack) with them, and Fluffy was kind enough to pretend her wing was broken so we could see how to immobilize it with vet wrap.  

My husband, who is squeamish, found it difficult to sit through all of the poop, fungus, worm, pus, etc. talk.  It didn't faze me at all.

I did learn some things, which is always good.  And I love the Urban Farm Store.  They carry a lot of things that I can't find closer to home, so I came away with a bag full of 'stuff'.

Does she have an intermediate class, as well as the advanced?  Or just a beginner and advanced?

Sorry your husband was squeamish about all the disease details. It didn't phase me either. And I ended up calling Tonya last night as my EE hadn't laid in 3 days and I was worried she might be egg bound. She explained when they aren't laying their combs are paler. Which was true as I had taken some pictures of her. Anyway she doesn't charge for the first call. Thankfully my EE laid today and is fine!

She teaches beginning and advanced first aide. And yes the Urban Farm Store is great!

Sorry your husband was squeamish about all the disease details. It didn't phase me either. And I ended up calling Tonya last night as my EE hadn't laid in 3 days and I was worried she might be egg bound. She explained when they aren't laying their combs are paler. Which was true as I had taken some pictures of her. Anyway she doesn't charge for the first call. Thankfully my EE laid today and is fine!

She teaches beginning and advanced first aide. And yes the Urban Farm Store is great!

Yes, well he is squeamish about a lot of things. And there is very little that makes me squeamish. Did you tell me at one point that she will make a house call to Salem if needed?

Glad your girl is okay. I have been so lucky with my little flock. Knock on wood.

Yes, well he is squeamish about a lot of things.  And there is very little that makes me squeamish.  Did you tell me at one point that she will make a house call to Salem if needed?  

Glad your girl is okay.  I have been so lucky with my little flock.  Knock on wood.

Yep knock wood all around. Tonya WILL make house calls to Salem for $25/hour!

We should have a class down here.

All 3 girls are laying. My SLW has been sporadic but here are eggs from each of the girls yesterday:

All 3 girls are laying. My SLW has been sporadic but here are eggs from each of the girls yesterday:

I wish we had something like that was a bit closer. Although I did get a dinner at the VQ afterward. Can't beat that.

Pretty eggs. I still get such a kick out of finding eggs in the nest boxes. Mine averaged 3.5 a day in the summer and fall. For December and January they are averaging just shy of 3 a day, so still going strong.

Last edited:
Get there early and plan on staying until closing, both days.
big_smile.png
When they publish the schedule (closer to the Fair), be sure to look at the map so you know where the stages are. Plan for which lectures you do not want to miss. Try to get to the bookstore the first day. By the time we went there on the second day, many books were sold out. The food available is expensive; take your own sandwiches and water. We barely had time to catch our breath...wear good shoes. And for sure, don't miss Joel Salatin's chicken processing if he comes again. Informative and hilarious. Other favorites were Jean-Martin Fortier and Bob Moore of Bob's Red Mill.

Get there early and plan on staying until closing, both days.
big_smile.png
When they publish the schedule (closer to the Fair), be sure to look at the map so you know where the stages are. Plan for which lectures you do not want to miss. Try to get to the bookstore the first day. By the time we went there on the second day, many books were sold out. The food available is expensive; take your own sandwiches and water. We barely had time to catch our breath...wear good shoes. And for sure, don't miss Joel Salatin's chicken processing if he comes again. Informative and hilarious. Other favorites were Jean-Martin Fortier and Bob Moore of Bob's Red Mill.

I hope Jean-Martin Fortier is there -- I just got his book and I'm pretty much obsessed with him right now (in a non-creepy way!). I would be thrilled if he was one of the speakers.

I'm looking for a blue or blue copper Marans cockerel or rooster for a breeding pen this spring. Prefer feathered legs and from dark egger lines. I have some nice black and black copper hens that need a new, vigorous, fertile young man to fill my incubator this spring
smile.png
. PM me and let me know if you have an appropriate bird in the Southern Oregon area.

Hey Lynn, I wanted to let you know that I was up in Portland on Tuesday, so stopped by the Urban Farm Store to pick up some BOSS and some peanuts. I grabbed a bag of Scratch and Peck Layer to try. Holy smokes, the girls L.O.V.E.D. it. They wasted a lot of the layer crumbles I have been feeding them, but I don't think there will be any waste with this feed. I'm hoping that I can find somewhere closer to buy it (I think Wilco may carry it), but will definitely patronize the Urban Farm Store when I'm in Portland. Thanks for the tip about the feed.

I just called Silverton Wilco and they carry it, which is great if I need it and I have no plans to drive to Portland. It will be really convenient when the Wilco on South Commercial opens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom