Oregon

Hi!

I just found this Oregon thread! Cool! I’ve been trying to find out if there are Bantam people who like to show and raise Bantams in the PNW.

it’s really nice to have this website! I have been enjoying the forums and articles. I’m in Portland Oregon with six breeds of Bantams. Mine are really pets but I like to pretend they will win all the shows! ;)
I’m currently looking for homes for eight cockerels (just four months old). They are very tame and incredibly sweet. I wanted to keep them and even built them a beautiful 8x16 coop and run. I really thought the crow collars would help me keep them—along with my wonderful neighbors— but unfortunately the collars are more of a worry than a help, so far. I’ve posted on Craigslist and in feed stores from Corvallis to Southern Washington and out to Boring, OR. No luck so far. Does anyone have any advice? I’ll link to my Craigslist ads here. I don’t have Facebook. Thanks and looking forward to more chicken community!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/d/portland-young-bantam-boys-looking-for/7004946922.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/wan/d/boring-chicken-boarding-can-board-my/7007226744.html

I saw your ad in Craigslist yesterday and was sad. I can't take them in because I have 2 cockerels now, and I don't want more. I tried the crow collars too, and I couldn't get them to work without being afraid I would lose the bird. It's hard to find homes for roosters around here. I see people trying to sell them, one guy is selling his mixed roo for $40. Good luck there. I post my cocks for free, and I don't ask because I know they will be for food. I don't eat them myself, but if they are going to feed someone, that's good too. There used to be a gal on Craigslist who would take roos in, and hens. I don't know if she still does, and I looked, but I can't find her email. I'll keep an ear out.

I saw your ad in Craigslist yesterday and was sad. I can't take them in because I have 2 cockerels now, and I don't want more. I tried the crow collars too, and I couldn't get them to work without being afraid I would lose the bird. It's hard to find homes for roosters around here. I see people trying to sell them, one guy is selling his mixed roo for $40. Good luck there. I post my cocks for free, and I don't ask because I know they will be for food. I don't eat them myself, but if they are going to feed someone, that's good too. There used to be a gal on Craigslist who would take roos in, and hens. I don't know if she still does, and I looked, but I can't find her email. I'll keep an ear out.

Hi!
Thanks for your advice!
I am definitely not charging money for these boys... I’d actually pay someone to take them! It makes me think that perhaps I was dumb to have chickens in the city. Ugh. Thanks again and hope your boys are quiet!!

My boys haven't realized they are boys yet. I am picking up one of my mom's boys, she thought she could have two with 6 hens, but that would cause so much overbreeding. It is a time when a lot of people are reducing their flocks, so maybe in the spring would be a better time.

Hello everyone!
I used to frequent this thread about 7 or 8 year's ago. It was such a great group of people. At the time I was living in the city with a flock of 15. The space was too small for the hobby. It became stressful and burnt me out. Fast forward to now, my wife and I bought a small farm west of Cheshire (Hwy36 west of Junction City). Now that we are getting settled, I NEED BIRDS!!
I want to get some eggs going soon as possible. I am willing to drive and pay for the right egg's. What I'm most interested in is silver or Blue laced Wyandotte, French black copper Marans and I've always had a soft spot for Barnevelders especially in silver laced. My 12 year old has requested blue egg layer. Aruacana? Is that how it's spelled? Anyway, I'm not to keen on hatchery stock, but I'm open to it if they have been in a breeding program since originally sourced.
Looking forward to sharing with a great group of people.
Thanks
Derek.
Bent Fir Farm

I think it is slow all the time but this time of year is hard for local fertile eggs... that sounds like what you’re seeking? If you don’t want to wait until the days are longer, then Hatcheries are going to be the way to go. You can check Craigslist or eBay for hatching eggs too.

Yeah, I was just hoping to get lucky on hatching eggs this time of year.
This thread back in the day was gold. You could find almost anything you needed or wanted within a day at most.
Anyways, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Also another breed I'd have interest in is Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom