Oregon

Thoughts requested on my SW Portland coop (near Burlingame Fredmeyer). It has a closed in run. Closed with metal cloth all around and even under the run. I have been rather negligent of late in closing the coop door that leads to the run as I leave the house before the sun is out and i don't have electricity at the coop for automatic openers. So generally I have been leaving that door open and I check on them as soon as I get home. Am I running too much of a risk with predator risk?
I never saw this post! I think there’s always a risk, sadly.... no matter how much you predator proof. But it sounds like your setup is really solid. If a raccoon wants to, it can get into most things. I have raccoons where I live but they have not yet visited since I set up my coop and run this Fall. I leave my window cracked so I can hear visitors in the night. So far just one feral cats and one rat that I e seen. Both were annoyed there was no obvious entryway. I ordered one of those auto doors and am going to install this weekend. I’ve done the same as you and opened the coop door to the run before sunrise. So far so good. I want to install some cameras in 2020! I’ll send protective wishes for your chickens! City life is rough!!

F0305B30-26D2-4756-A0E0-1BF5A032B92C.jpeg
C7FCD510-93BC-4DA8-834B-93F4968432AF.jpeg
7DE61BB6-FEE5-477D-A3E2-C1106A690BB3.jpeg
F0305B30-26D2-4756-A0E0-1BF5A032B92C.jpeg
C7FCD510-93BC-4DA8-834B-93F4968432AF.jpeg
7DE61BB6-FEE5-477D-A3E2-C1106A690BB3.jpeg
B0A8FE9A-DB5B-4645-9E8D-39B962D04018.jpeg
658F13CF-7A3C-4E7C-84FE-D44149745026.jpeg
I’ve got to find homes for my two boys I really wanted to keep. No huge hurry. Just need homes before the weather warms up and people sleep with open windows! My neighbors have been really supportive and want me to keep the boys but they have no idea how loud they really are!! Plus, they crow all day and I know what it’s like to work graveyard or swing shift and try to sleep with city noises. I don’t like the crow collars and experimented with them extensively. So I’m looking for homes if anyone knows someone in search of a cool Bantam rooster! My boys are 24 weeks now and really wonderful. One is a Light Brown Dutch and very friendly and cuddly. The other is a Mille Fleur D’Uccle and one very good rooster. He is serious and doesn’t want to be held but treats everyone so well. My pullets love their boys and it will be hard on them when they leave. Here’s a link to my Craigslist ad. I have a ton of photos beyond the ad, too! Thanks for any help!!
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/grd/d/portland-2-beautiful-bantam-roosters/7044886078.html

Last edited:
In the past I would staple up clear plastic around the outside of the run to keep the blowing rain out. Makes a huge difference. I would not cover the door area so there was plenty ventilation.

Today I am getting the cows access to more covered area. Short little Dexter's can only handle so much snow.

Speaking of door's. Something I did but never shared, was the door to my run was a repurposed storm door from my house. My run was shorter than the door so I pulled the screen out, drilled out the rivets at the top corners of the door frame miters removing the inner "L" brackets. Then I pulled the rubber seal around the glass out and slid the glass panels out of the frame. Now my frame was aluminum, so I was able to cut new miter angles with my electric miter saw ( Not a hand miter saw) to the proper height. Then the "L" brackets that we drilled the rivets out of in the beginning went back in with new rivets. So now the door was shorter, still had the thumb latch and hinges on it. I then attached wood strip's to surround the area that the glass and screen used to be. Then I stapled hardware cloth to the wood strip's. In the end I had a light weight but heavy duty screen door on my run. It was one of the best things I did on my backyard set up.

Anybody know where to get hatching eggs in the Portland area? I'm looking into starting incubating at the end of February, but I want to start my egg search early. I've found a couple of craigslist ads, but there aren't many options and some seem a little expensive.

I'm probably going to have to go down to Salem to get my incubator so I'd consider getting eggs in that range as well.

Back
Top Bottom