Oregon

Baking soda's a good idea. You must buy it in bulk? Where do you get so much? And what do you do about the flies in the summer? That's been a constant problem for me. I imagine just cleaning better is the only real solution. Hopefully by next summer the baby will be able to let me work in the yard.

Quote:
Actually, the fly trap bags work REALLY well. They are around $4 each I think, I got mine at Wilco. They have a little bait thing in them, you just add water to the line and fill them up. I can even get them filled up when I don't "notice" the flies to much.

Mary, I worried about the splinters too, but so far so good, I only got a few in my hands when I was spreading the bark, and their feet are lots tougher than my hands, so I think it'll be ok. It did freak them out a little at first though! Goofy buggers.

Shawna, I think hog fuel would work the same. I've read about using that on here also. Even if it had cedar in it, it would be outside and so not a problem like if you used cedar shavings in an enclosed area.

You guys all talking about vector control - are any of you NPIP? I've contaced the state vet's office numerous times and have gotten ZERO response. Even talked to the state vet Dr. DeBess in person (he's a pal of mine) and he said he'd put a bug in the ear of the person I had contacted, but still haven't heard anything back...not that I'm in any hurry, but...just wondering if anyone else has had any better luck with our fabulous state government than I have.
hmm.png

Quote:
Aren't the Silkies just the sweetest? And they make great handwarmers too! DH said he'd part with a juvie for next to nothing if you want another. However ours are very cute but not SQ. And don't know at their age if pullets orcockerels yet. PM me if interested

I have used cedar in the outside pens for 20 years w/o ill effects so far. Always had on hand and less $$. When I found out a few years ago that it could be harmful, I did use pine for a bit but switched back soon after.

Quote:
Actually, the fly trap bags work REALLY well. They are around $4 each I think, I got mine at Wilco. They have a little bait thing in them, you just add water to the line and fill them up. I can even get them filled up when I don't "notice" the flies to much.

Mary, I worried about the splinters too, but so far so good, I only got a few in my hands when I was spreading the bark, and their feet are lots tougher than my hands, so I think it'll be ok. It did freak them out a little at first though! Goofy buggers.

Shawna, I think hog fuel would work the same. I've read about using that on here also. Even if it had cedar in it, it would be outside and so not a problem like if you used cedar shavings in an enclosed area.

You guys all talking about vector control - are any of you NPIP? I've contaced the state vet's office numerous times and have gotten ZERO response. Even talked to the state vet Dr. DeBess in person (he's a pal of mine) and he said he'd put a bug in the ear of the person I had contacted, but still haven't heard anything back...not that I'm in any hurry, but...just wondering if anyone else has had any better luck with our fabulous state government than I have.
hmm.png

I buy it in a huge bag from Bob's Red Mill Store, I don't actually use much though; it works so well. I keep wondering if it's OK to use because I haven't read much on BYC about using it. The other thing I buy from BRM is a big bag of wheat berries. I sprout them for the ladies. They love it!

No, not NPIP, just trying to get a permit for more than 3 chickens (noo roos), which I did get. I got an actual phone call from a state vet, Dr. Hansen. I had sent him an email asking about vaccinations and biosecurity and he actually called me back. I'm thinking about volunteering for 4-H. Anyway, he actually called me and was very helpful, happily answered all my dumb questions. I got his name from the NPIP contact list.

And as for cedar wood..I know people who use cedar shavings with no problem what so ever. Go figure...

Last edited:
I use sand in our run. It works great! I gently comb the sand with a shrub rake once or twice a week and then put what I pick up through a strainer I place over a kitty litter bucket. I toss the clean sand back in the run and toss the poo in the compost. The girls LOVE the sand! I put food grade DE in the area they use most for dust baths. Flies don't linger as the sand dries the poo quickly. I do use the fly traps and they work great but beware--the bait stinks!! Put it in an area you don't frequent often. I put ours 20 feet away from the coop--still attracts the flies and the girls and I don't have to smell it often.
2lbkos0.gif

I edited to add that our run is covered!

Last edited:
Calling PORTLAND chicken owners!

I'm reviewing various city chicken ordinances so we can update our ordinance here in Denver. Portland's ordinance seems to say that you can own 3 chickens (or pygmy goats, or rabbits) without getting a "specified animal facility permit."

However, 13.05.035 says that you cannot picket any livestock or allow livestock to roam (and chickens are included in their definition of "livestock") within 50 feet of a residence.

Really??? It would be difficult (here in Denver) to find a good space on your lot for chickens that was 50 feet from a residence. Plus, why is it anyone's business if you want your chickens right next to your own house?

Is this really the rule in Portland? Please let me know -- and as many specifics as you can give me on the ordinance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom