Oregon

I have not told them yet as I can never be 100% sure it came from them.

I highly doubt they know there's a problem. They seem like very nice people and I don't see them lying about something like this.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you tell the hatchery about the illness? I wonder if they even know there is a problem.

They probably have no idea. And honestly if you have a closed flock it's close to impossible that it came from one of yours. You should notify them and let them know. Think about how many others are potentially being infected every day..... I'd still call the OHS. It's not malicious. They should just have to quarantine their birds until the problems solved so others don't have the same problem.

Quote:
You should definitely report it.

How do I go about reporting something like this? I've never had to deal with anything like this before. They seem like nice people, but this is a major problem. I should have known better, I went to pick up my chicks on hatching day and no one was around. I didn't know what the protocol for pick-up was so I just went in and wandered around looking for someone (it's a pretty small facility...just a little house, two big coops, and a shed where peeping was coming from). As I wandered around I found a dead, neglected chick in an uncovered trough, lots of birds in divided fenced areas, and a terrible smell and flies everywhere. I got a really bad feeling in my gut, so I left. However he called me up the next day apologizing that he wasn't there after I'd driven an hour and a half to get there. He offered me free chicks and free delivery up to Portland, or I could say I didn't want them anymore. Well since I wasn't going to get my money back I took them. I'm not sure if it was the overnight stay at the hatchery that caused them to contract it, or if they had it before hatching, but it is what it is and I just hope they pull through. My major concern now is the littlest chicks' congestion issues.

chickened: MG is a form of mycoplasma bacteria that causes CRD (chronic respiratory infections). It works the same way as herpes. Luckily I have had no losses so far and the chicks who got it first are showing improvement (it's working it's way through the chicks now). I'll have to treat any flare ups with antibiotics and won't be bringing in any more birds. The guy's name is Terry I believe?

They'll be at the Oregon State Fair this year with a hatching chick display and will be selling their chicks from there as well. Obviously as most of you know, MG is passed through the egg so there's a big chance the chicks will have it upon hatching. Just wanted to let you guys know, especially those of you with lots of birds!

You need to contact the State of Oregon Ag Department. They need to know about that ASAP.

Last edited:
Who ya gonna call???
gig.gif

Sorry
hide.gif

I figured you'd know Jeanine!

Quote:
503-986-4680
wink.png

Perfect! What do I say? That I contracted mycoplasma g.? Haha, I really have no idea what I'm doing
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
503-986-4680
wink.png

Perfect! What do I say? That I contracted mycoplasma g. from a an in-state hatchery? Haha, I really have no idea what I'm doing
tongue.png

Tell them what you told us. You bought a chick from them. You have a closed flock. Now there's MG and you think it came from there. Just want to use precautionary measures so it doesn't spread.

Quote:
Perfect! What do I say? That I contracted mycoplasma g. from a an in-state hatchery? Haha, I really have no idea what I'm doing
tongue.png

Tell them what you told us. You bought a chick from them. You have a closed flock. Now there's MG and you think it came from there. Just want to use precautionary measures so it doesn't spread.

thumbsup.gif

I have a pair of silkies that I need to find a good home for. They are 12 weeks old. The reason I can't keep them anymore is because one of them is a rooster. I can't keep roosters where I live. I have to give them away together because they are inseparable! They cry for each other when they are separated. The home that I choose for them must guarantee that they will not be dinner and that they will not be separated from each other. Let me know if you are interested! I'm bringing them to the Oregon Fall Poultry Swap!

Lahnee:
lahnee2.jpg

lahnee1.jpg

Loonah:
loonah1.jpg

loonah2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom