Oregon

I Oregon city, Redland area...
smile.png

"How many people use sand around here for the their coops? I was trying to figure out the best solution for a new coop, since we tend to get so much rain in our area."

I use pine shavings in my coop with a sprinkle of DE under it. It kinds of cleans some of the mud off their feet before jumping into their nestboxes. I have no idea how sand would work. I'm guessing if its kept dry it would work fine.

Last edited:
I use a combo of sand and bark chips outside. The play ground type of bark chips. The sand is good at draining the water, but the chips also absorb it and I think it is warmer for their feet in freezing temps than sand alone. I use sand topped with straw in the covered areas. That way, I can rake off the poo/hay every few weeks leaving the sand underneath. Then throw another blob of hay on top. In the top of their coop under the roosts, I use sand alone as I can scoop it with a kitty litter scoop every morning. That is just what works for me!
**some of these pics are from last winter with my old coop, some are my new coop, same principle though**

75545_dsc00690.jpg

inside:
75545_img_9451.jpg

Straw over sand inside covered areas:
75545_dsc00677.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, very cool coop pharm girl!

I was thinking about sand because it seems to be easy to obtain and clean. Just want to make sure it works with our weather. Sounds like mixing it with another type of bedding would work best though.

I am very much a newb. What is DE?

DE = diatemaceous earth. Basically, it's super fine dusty dirt.
smile.png
But if you choose to use it, you need to make sure you get food grade DE, not the cheap stuff they use in pool filters.

I tried sand this spring, spent a ton to get enough for my big run, and it's all gone already. Between the birds eating it for grit (they seem to prefer it over their actual grit) and scraping it around, it's long gone.
hmm.png

Quote:
X2

If my yard were set up like that, I'd do the same thing! I like the block stepping stones, too. Are they the 60 lb or the smaller ones?

Hmmm, they definitely don't weigh 60 lbs. Maybe 12 lbs? The small size means if they are standing on them, their bums hang off the edge. They are tall enough so that the birds don't kick too much onto them. I rarely get poop on them. They do have a little edge on the bottom meant for stacking, but I just push them into the ground to even them out. In the rain and muck, I can tip toe to the coops and collect eggs in my slippers. I go through the window! Rarely use the gates. LOL.

Here's a better picture of them, the one under the window is probably a 60lb one....
75545_img_0638.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe I just found this thread. Hi there! We live on 6.5 acres in what is technically now referred to as Happy Valley but my bf didn't incorporate so we remain in Clackamas. So YAY we can (and do!) have roosters! We constructed our coop and run out of raw materials salvaged mostly from old barns that we tore down when folks were having to move out due to park and school construction.

Both our coop and run are covered for rain protection, but with great ventilation. I do put pine shavings down, as well as shaving/wood chips from projects around the house (no treated wood). I have DE but haven't used it yet. I think I'm going to start using in it the nesting boxes as soon as the flock are back together - they are currently separated because we let a broody momma hatch out some chicks.

Back
Top Bottom