Oregon

"Never show agression or dominance toward any chicken that is showing dominance or aggression toward you. This only invites them to challenge you further. You don't want your hens to associate you as top chicken, it causes them to constantly test you and attempt to integrate you into their pecking order."

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is what I was disagreeing with. There are different ways of doing things, so like the saying goes, "Never say never."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Like I said, individuals are different and one thing might not work for one as it does for another. For me, my rooster clucks and tries courting me (particularly when he was separated during QT) but that doesn't bother me. I just approach him and throw him off my petting him on the back or tossing scratch to get the attention off of me. My hens and rooster do not test me though. Being treated like a chicken doesn't mean they THINK you're a chicken. If anything you should be flattered, as it means they're attempting to communicate with you.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For me, when it comes to certain things I'd rather just avoid training since it's like working around a language barrier. But if you know what they're telling you and they know what you're telling them all you're doing is communicating and they get the picture without having to learn via association[/FONT]

What you call "communication" I call training. Another form of training, but training none the less. When training we simply communicate with our animals by telling them what we expect of them. Whether it is teaching them that a peck means getting pecked or that a peck means getting squirted. Training is training, either way, whatever you choose to call it.

My chickens know what I expect of them. I also know what they expect of me. I expect that they don't peck at me, court me, or act agressive toward me. In return they expect that I let them be while they are setting on their eggs and all the other chicken quirks.

Also, I was in no way "Flattered" when my roo tried to breed me and dug his sharp beak into my bare legs. I also was not flattered when my dominant hen raised her hackles at me and pecked me so hard it drew blood.

I now nip these chicken "Flatteries" in the butt before they have a chance to turn into more agressive behaviors. A rooster courting me like i'm a hen gets squirted so that he learns I'm not a hen before he tries to breed me. a hen that pecks me or raises her hackles gets squirted so she learns I'm not a part of the pecking order and she won't ever try to peck at me.

Nowadays I run a youth program and have young children around my animals, so the ones who require "agression training/communication" are culled from my flock.

I too am in Oregon in the Canby area, bought chickens straight run........didn't know that meant un-sexed as this is my first experience with chickens. I live in the country and am not sure if I should cull my roosters or keep one or two to keep the flock safe? Also do any of you breed chickens would like to replace any cockrels with pullets!!! Although I guess I will have to wait to find that out!!!!! Would love to have some Orpingtons also!!!! :)
Thanks!!!!

Has anyone picked up the latest issue of Chickens Magazine? I have an issue with the breed profile on Blue egg layers. They distinguish the difference between Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, and Auracanas, but in the blocks where they profile the breeds, they have pictures of 2 chickens that are neither Ameraucana nor Auracana..... Clearly. This is annoying to me and counterproductive if truly trying to distinguish the breeds.....

I too am in Oregon in the Canby area, bought chickens straight run........didn't know that meant un-sexed as this is my first experience with chickens. I live in the country and am not sure if I should cull my roosters or keep one or two to keep the flock safe? Also do any of you breed chickens would like to replace any cockrels with pullets!!! Although I guess I will have to wait to find that out!!!!! Would love to have some Orpingtons also!!!! :)
Thanks!!!!
I used to think that straight run meant that the chickens were kept in a long, straight run. Like a chicken run.

Hope you get a good ratio of hens, but be warned, some hatcheries like to throw in a few extra cockerals.

Hahahahaaa. Replacing pullets with roos. Sorry, but thats funny. I dont think I know anyone who would trade a hen for a roo. Sorry if thats mean... and im sure there is SOMEONE who will do it, but not in my experience!

Obviously I don't think aggressive behavior is in any way flattering, but again I've never had birds get to that point with me. What I'm talking about is the nonaggressive chatty behavior in chickens. I don't find courting aggressive, but amusing. When my rooster tried courting me I just approached him and threw off his groove. He wasn't being naughty, just hormonal. I have never had a rooster jump at me for any reason, and I've never had a hen get to the point where she raised her hackles at me or pecked me to the point of bleeding. In fact, I've messed with laying hens, broodies, and mamas with chicks and have never been pecked harder than a normal warning peck and have never been acted towards aggressively, even with hens who were extremely protective of their chicks. Even with my friend's flock of birds, I was able to handle all of their roosters, even the one who hadn't been handled due to his aggression towards humans.

I'd find carrying a squirt bottle around with me supremely irritating, especially when I already have trouble keeping track of things I'm using at the moment. I know that I'd set it down and not be able to squirt fast enough for the squirt to be associated with the behavior. The fact that you're having to squirt them for repeating behaviors is what I meant by having impeccable timing and being extremely consistent because obviously the behaviors are not extinguished. With chickens you'd have to be constantly aiming at them and squirt them the instant it happened in order for the association to be effective. If you look at chicken trainers, they click their clickers the split second they perform the behavior. Having a hen peck at you, grabbing the squirt bottle, and squirting them is simply a punishment that is no longer associated with the peck, hence the lack of long term response.

But, to each his own. One of the reasons why chicken keeping and forums like this are so fascinating is because of the different ways people do things.

What you call "communication" I call training. Another form of training, but training none the less. When training we simply communicate with our animals by telling them what we expect of them. Whether it is teaching them that a peck means getting pecked or that a peck means getting squirted. Training is training, either way, whatever you choose to call it.

My chickens know what I expect of them. I also know what they expect of me. I expect that they don't peck at me, court me, or act agressive toward me. In return they expect that I let them be while they are setting on their eggs and all the other chicken quirks.

Also, I was in no way "Flattered" when my roo tried to breed me and dug his sharp beak into my bare legs. I also was not flattered when my dominant hen raised her hackles at me and pecked me so hard it drew blood.

I now nip these chicken "Flatteries" in the butt before they have a chance to turn into more agressive behaviors. A rooster courting me like i'm a hen gets squirted so that he learns I'm not a hen before he tries to breed me. a hen that pecks me or raises her hackles gets squirted so she learns I'm not a part of the pecking order and she won't ever try to peck at me.

Nowadays I run a youth program and have young children around my animals, so the ones who require "agression training/communication" are culled from my flock.

Last edited:
Thanks!!!!
frow.gif
I would keep one or two, we have Bald Eagles out here that find chicken particularly tasty.
wink.png

I am getting 2 baby Australian Spotted Ducks this weekend. I decided we needed a couple of ducks but wanted bantam sized, I found these on Craigslist just up in Oregon City. Has anyone had experience with this kind of duck?

Hi, does anyone near Portland Oregon have blue silkie hens or pullets for sale? I would sure like to have a couple to add to my flock.

Back
Top Bottom