Organ hanging out of hen?

Brandon J

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 5, 2017
PXL_20220813_162916667.jpg

There are maggots all over her rear and it smells terrible. I assume I have to put her down? It could be from Fox attack last week. We lost one but she was slightly injured on her back. Perhaps this was damage that festered or went unnoticed.

It looks like a prolapsed vent that's gone septic, but it could be from the fox. I'd also put her down personally. You can try to help her but if is from the fox, an infection could internal and there no telling how bad it is.

I put her down with a hatchet and a stump. My first time. It was clean but she was flapping around so I assume that's reflex I've read.

The infection was bad. The smell was terrible and I could hear the maggots buzzing and crunching. Nauseous just thinking about it.

Thank you.

I put her down with a hatchet and a stump. My first time. It was clean but she was flapping around so I assume that's reflex I've read.

The infection was bad. The smell was terrible and I could hear the maggots buzzing and crunching. Nauseous just thinking about it.

Thank you.
Yes I’ve heard it’s just nerves/reflex etc. so sorry for your loss

Thanks. She was 3.5 years old so that probably was a factor.

I should have checked her more carefully after the Fox attack. She had cuts to her back but it never occured to me to check her bottom. I've been using topicals in general for exterior wounds and it usually seems to help but this was like nothing I've ever seen in a living animal. Then again I'm just a backyarder.

Thanks. She was 3.5 years old so that probably was a factor.

I should have checked her more carefully after the Fox attack. She had cuts to her back but it never occured to me to check her bottom. I've been using topicals in general for exterior wounds and it usually seems to help but this was like nothing I've ever seen in a living animal. Then again I'm just a backyarder.
:hugs :hugs I’m sure it was really hard. I’ve never experienced a vent prolapse or a predator attack, but I’m sure it’s just terrible.

Back
Top Bottom