Organic Chickens

Quote:
I am not sure this is correct, I am not challenging as much as I am asking for verification. Some hatcheries (Tyson and many others) use antibiotics (gentamicin) on eggs at 18 days. I would like to think that would not be allowed for organic production. The USDA regs are so long and involved I am not inclined to look it up.

Many thanks if there is further clarification

This is a direct quote from the attra site that both I and another person linked. I'll see if I can find similar in the actual NOP.
The NOP does not require the origin of the birds to be organic. In fact, there are currently no certified organic poultry hatcheries in the United States. Nonorganic chicks may be used but must be under organic management after the second day after hatching.

follow-up edit:
USDA article at http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/LDP/2006/12Dec/LDPM15001/
Poultry must be under continuous organic management from the second day of life; some farmers purchase chicks from a certified organic hatchery while others begin raising the chicks organically when they arrive on the farm.

Also it is stated indirectly (as part of another question) at the official NOP website - http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams...ck&description=NOP-AQSS: Livestock&acct=AQSS
The NOP regulations require that poultry be raised organically no later than the second day of life. Can baby chickens be fed antibiotics in their water during the first day of their life? (PDF)​

Last edited:
Quote:
We didn't vaccinate, but it is actually allowed under NOP.

ATTRA quote from link above
Vaccines are allowed in organic production to prevent disease. Interestingly, vaccines may be genetically engineered, a practice that is otherwise not permitted in organic production. This information appears in section 205.104(e) of the NOP Final Rule. Poultry vaccines are commonly used in the United States to prevent Marek's disease, Newcastle, infectious bronchitis and coccidiosis.​

Back
Top Bottom