Organic Control of Stick Tight Fleas??

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
hi... this is the first warm season i'll have my flock up in the california high desert. my dogs have had stick tight fleas for the last two summers but it's easy to control on them as they only attach to the ears and can be picked off. well, i saw the first on my dogs tonight which means i'm sure they will get on my chickens! i know they will attach themselves around the eyes of the chickens. does anyone have any organic methods of ridding and controlling stick tights in the flock? i am opposed to using sevin or dipping my chickens in a chemical dip. i have heard that DE is not very effective. i can't imagine there is not a remedy somewhere? any thoughts based on your experience would be welcome!

thanks.

from a worried sylvia

I have used DE for many years and haven't have any crawly critters on any of my animals or birds. I think that those that talk against DE expect a mircle the first day. It doesn't work that way. In the coops I dust all the cracks, the nest boxes are duted as is the floor and I place it in every dust bath hole. Once a month I use a paint brush and dust each bird with it. All the other critters are dusted with it using the paint brush. Think of it this way, if a child comes home from school with head lice. Do you wash them down with the soap for it only once? Or do you do it every few days until you are should they are gone? DE works, but it is not the miracle worker some want.

Only thing I know might work is one product I used--a natural organic soap made of plants called "The Solution" on my friend's children's head lice. Used straight as shampoo and let sit for ten minutes or so. It worked! My friend did not have to use the insecticide shampoo and made her very happy because she does everything organic. She put a strainer over the drain which caught the dead lice being washed out. She also cut the kid's hair and used the comb to help, but the soap is what did it. It is made by a small family business and I have it shipped to me from Clearwater Herbs in Florida, the only place I know that sells it.

Be careful around eyes. Maybe a mild oil around the eyes would aphyxiate the fleas?

hi everyone thank you for welcomeing me to this wonderful group!!! my question to you all is WHAT IS "DE" ??????? & how do i use it for stick fleas on some chicken that i bought!!

Last edited:
DE is diatomaceous earth. It is the shells of microscopic diatoms, it is not "dirt".

There is "food grade" to use around chickens, swimming pool grade for their filters, and home/garden grade with toxic insecticides and contaminants in it not necessarily listed on the label because of propietary.

Use the food grade. I know a website where you can get 50 pounds of food grade for $27. Will look it up later tonight at home.

ww.clearwaterherbs.com has a smaller size of a pound or less also, food grade.

Back
Top Bottom