Organic Egg Certification: Not Worth It

Quote:
Pressure treated lumber lasts. That is why people use it. They'd rather not have their coop floorboards rotting out after a few years. Not all treated wood is evil, some are treated more naturally. Beekeepers will often dip their wooden beehive boxes into vats of hot linseed oil for treating. That is 'treated' lumber, but with an edible oil. Sure, plenty of companies use chemicals like chromated copper arsenate and whatnot, but unless you're chewing the wood, burning it and inhaling the smoke, etc. it is fine.

Anyway, OP, probably a good idea to decide not to go along with the organic silliness. Just an excuse for the government to breathe down your neck.

that isn't true. the chemicals leak during normal circumstances - - like rain. it contaminates everything around it. i am aware of the progressive, new age treatment of lumber, but most mass producing companies use the harsh chemicals. that is a fact.

i'm not trying to be argumenatitve, but to share information. treated lumber is dangerous. to drive the point home: your house isn't built with treated lumber. i do not know of a single home built with treated lumber. not one. and there's a reason for that.

to your point - - it's totally more convenient and makes things, work wise, easier on people. but that doesn't mean it's better. and it certainly doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Quote:
Which chemicals, specifically?

as previously mentioned, chromated copper arsenate which literally leaks arsenic - - and, as such, has literally been banned by the EPA in certain areas. also, copper chemicals are used - - which also leaks and is toxic to insects/plants/etc (just in-case you didn't know copper was toxic).

listen, you don't have to take my word for it. look it up. this isn't a secret. the information is widely available to all. or, you could just read the warnings posted in areas that sell treated lumber. you know, the ones that say you should always wear gloves, to not breathe the sawdust, to not burn the treated lumber, etc, etc.

aside from all the independent studies and organizations saying there are hazards, the companies themselves tell you their product causes damage - - and the government telling you it's dangerous - - you still think it's ok? everyone is lying and misled? lol.

it's bad stuff. believe it. or don't.

Well can't untreated lumber draw termites to your home/coop? Sounds like they want to make it so hard to produce an organic food to force organic growers out of business if you ask me. Aren't they in the pocket of companies like Monsanto with their genetically modified food magic/poison?

Good luck building a new house without treated wood.

Almost everyone I've seen post on here uses chemicals to worm their chickens I wonder if anyone tells the people they are selling their eggs to about. Not to mention I haven't seen organic chicken feed anywhere around here. Seems to me the only way you could control that much of everything about your chickens to keep the eggs organic would be to keep them in metal cages off the ground. That would defeat the purpose in my opinion.

Last edited:
Quote:
new houses are not built with treated lumber. i'm not sure why you think they are.

Quote:
Pressure treated lumber lasts. That is why people use it. They'd rather not have their coop floorboards rotting out after a few years. Not all treated wood is evil, some are treated more naturally. Beekeepers will often dip their wooden beehive boxes into vats of hot linseed oil for treating. That is 'treated' lumber, but with an edible oil. Sure, plenty of companies use chemicals like chromated copper arsenate and whatnot, but unless you're chewing the wood, burning it and inhaling the smoke, etc. it is fine.

Anyway, OP, probably a good idea to decide not to go along with the organic silliness. Just an excuse for the government to breathe down your neck.

that isn't true. the chemicals leak during normal circumstances - - like rain. it contaminates everything around it. i am aware of the progressive, new age treatment of lumber, but most mass producing companies use the harsh chemicals. that is a fact.

i'm not trying to be argumenatitve, but to share information. treated lumber is dangerous. to drive the point home: your house isn't built with treated lumber. i do not know of a single home built with treated lumber. not one. and there's a reason for that.

to your point - - it's totally more convenient and makes things, work wise, easier on people. but that doesn't mean it's better. and it certainly doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Our sill plates that touch the concrete (raised foundation) on our house is pressure treated lumber. Doug fir above that.

In our county in Northern CA, if it touches concrete, it must be pressure treated wood.

Quote:
i don't use chemicals. and i use organic feed (mixed by myself). and my chickens free range - - on land not treated with chemicals.

it's not that strange - or difficult. just don't use the chemicals. everything is ok. really.

Quote:

Our sill plates that touch the concrete (raised foundation) on our house is pressure treated lumber. Doug fir above that.

In our county in Northern CA, if it touches concrete, it must be pressure treated wood.

yep. a lot of places have regulations like that. but your house isn't built with treated lumber.

Back
Top Bottom