Organic feed

I apologize for my manner as I'm not maybe the nicest guy on the planet. Simply put in more tender terms here is what I was getting at; if you were fed by someone else with no choice of controlling your own diet and were consistently fed the same diet of fruits of vegetables (even if you add meal worms and egg shells and such) even though you were an omnivore designed by god or evolution or the flying spaghetti monster or whatever to eat a certain amount of each. Your development and energy level would be poor. You wouldn't feel good in short. Someone has to be on the birds side here, even if they are just going for slaughter (which is what I do with mine).

It is nearly impossible to cover all of the nutritional bases of game birds without using animal proteins or feeding them commercial feed.

Meal worms and grubs are very high in fats and don't deliver game birds with enough protein/fat.

Again I apologize for offending you guys.

Last edited:
Sorry folks I didn't mean to cause such an uproar. Just wondering about organic alternatives to commercial feed.

Sorry folks I didn't mean to cause such an uproar. Just wondering about organic alternatives to commercial feed.
I am sorry that i tried to get him back on topic. there is absolutely no reason a person shouldn't be able to ask a question and get an answer to that question.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand. People in that camp tend to be a little testy. I learned to just owner look it.

Quail like greens pretty well, but I would avoid iceberg lettuce. It is too high a water content versus its nutritional value and if the eat a lot, may cause diarrhea.
They will require other nutrients not provided by the greens.
That's why greens are usually used as treats or supplements to a commercial feed by most people I know, including me.

What other nutrients might they need? I figure I should be able to feed a variety if foods to the birds to have complete nutrition without the use of commercial feed. Now I might not be right in figuring that but my brain says it ought to be possible.

What do they eat in the wild? Vegetation, insects, worms?

Just pondering.

What other nutrients might they need? I figure I should be able to feed a variety if foods to the birds to have complete nutrition without the use of commercial feed. Now I might not be right in figuring that but my brain says it ought to be possible.

What do they eat in the wild? Vegetation, insects, worms?

Just pondering.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460999/feed-formulas--> you'd have to figure out something to replace the corn and soy to go non gmo but here is a recipe

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/605068/feeding-organic-rations-to-quail-a-complete-diet-is-needed

Hi Lollypop. Just so you know if you do start letting your quails forage around or if you start feeding them bugs, you do need to worm them also to keep them healthy.

Back
Top Bottom