Organic or not?

Ms Gooseington

Hatching
6 Years
May 15, 2013
So I'm very new to the chicken world....I do want organic chickens but I can't seem to find anyone at my local feed store that knows much about the organic process. So I just need some help:

So medicated feed is NOT what I want, right?
I assume that organic in the chicken world is the same as the grocery store...if it doesn't SAY organic, then it isn't.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and don't have a feed store closer that 40 mins away. I really don't know where to go for organic. Any direction or help is very much appreciated.

I would love to be able to give my girls organic feed but have not been able to find it close to me either. I have been feeding Purina SunFresh Layena for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. All my girls are super healthy with shiny feathers and bright eyes. They also get all our organic fruit and veggie scraps and free range all day. Below is a link for the feed...

http://poultry.purinamills.com/ourproducts/products/layena/

I buy my girls layer from an organic feed mill(it's their brand) BUT the food isn't labelled as such, basically the store just doesn't sell medicated feeds and sells alternative product lines.

I believe i could specifically ask for a labelled organic feed but i prefer not too shell out that sort of money, the girls are doing well with what they are on, so no need to change it.

It's a personal choice thing, quite a few ways of going about it but i would go with unless it's labelled as such then it isn't but regulations do vary so you may need to do some inquiring on what standards are for feeds for your area and what is available.

Last edited:
To be labelled "Organic" the feed producer must have the production facilities inspected and certified for producing organic feed. Also the formula and all ingredients used in the feed must be inspected and certified also. If it is truly organic the tag should have the seal for the organic certifier such as OMRI or will have the USDA Organic symbol.

So I'm very new to the chicken world....I do want organic chickens but I can't seem to find anyone at my local feed store that knows much about the organic process. So I just need some help:

So medicated feed is NOT what I want, right?
I assume that organic in the chicken world is the same as the grocery store...if it doesn't SAY organic, then it isn't.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and don't have a feed store closer that 40 mins away. I really don't know where to go for organic. Any direction or help is very much appreciated.
Do a google search for "organic chicken feed chicago". You might be suprised what you find, there are a lot of sources closer than 40 miles from you. Good luck, and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom