1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic Soy free feed not flowing well into feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by winbrooke, Nov 18, 2013.

1. winbrooke

winbrooke New Egg

Nov 18, 2013
    Hello,
    I searched for some threads on this and could not find one. I apologize if it's already been answered.

I have a galvanized large feeder for my 3 hens. I'm using the organic, soy free feed. It does not flow well through the feeder. I have to shake it daily to get it to come down and I scoop out the fine bits at the bottom daily and mix with yogurt or oatmeal to get them to eat that.

Does anyone have any ideas to get the feed to work better in my feeder? Do you know what I'm talking about?

My concern is that I wanted to go away for 2 nights and didn't want my neighbor to have to feed them as it's kind of a back breaker to get into the bottom of my tractor..

Thanks for any ideas.

Brooke

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    On some of those feeders the bottom pan is adjustable in height. If yours is then lower the pan.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When I switched over to pelleted feed it helped with the powder in the bottom, but I still like to dump the feeder out into a rubber shallow feed pan outside every 3 days because there still is a little powder in there. There also is less waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by