Organic Starter-- Nature's Best or Scratch & Peck?

LilyandSparrow

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Centralia, WA
Hi!
Our chicks are on their way and I'm curious if there is a significant difference between Nature's best Organic starter or Scratch + Peck's organic starter. I was considering fermenting their food--can I only do it with the Scratch and Peck since it's grains? I wasn't sure if I could do it with the Nature's best since it's crumbles.

IMHO, it doesn't matter. Either can be fermented. They both have about the same amount of grain. One is just more finely ground. But in my experience, I was happier with the consistency of the coarsely ground feed after being fermented.

IMHO, it doesn't matter. Either can be fermented. They both have about the same amount of grain. One is just more finely ground. But in my experience, I was happier with the consistency of the coarsely ground feed after being fermented.
Thank you! I assume the "crumble" is the more finely ground, and scratch and peck would be the coarser grind?

This may not matter to you, but it was a factor for me in choosing feeds.

The majority of chicken feeds are mainly corn and soybeans. This includes the Natures Best.

Even if they are organic corn and soy, I'm not thrilled with those ingredients as the mainstay of their diet (and ultimately, my family's diet when we eat their eggs.)

I don't actually buy the Scratch n Peck because I get no-corn, no-soy organic feed locally, for a lot cheaper -- I know someone who orders it milled for her farm and she'll sell an extra bag or two to me. But, the Scratch n Peck is corn- and soy-free.

I wanted to cut and paste ingredients labels from both products, but I'm having trouble doing that. I'll link below:

http://organicfeeds.com/starter-and-grower-crumbles/

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/naturally-free-starter/

It's a personal decision, obviously. But, you asked if there's a difference, and to me, there is :)

This may not matter to you, but it was a factor for me in choosing feeds.

The majority of chicken feeds are mainly corn and soybeans. This includes the Natures Best.

Even if they are organic corn and soy, I'm not thrilled with those ingredients as the mainstay of their diet (and ultimately, my family's diet when we eat their eggs.)

I don't actually buy the Scratch n Peck because I get no-corn, no-soy organic feed locally, for a lot cheaper -- I know someone who orders it milled for her farm and she'll sell an extra bag or two to me. But, the Scratch n Peck is corn- and soy-free.

I wanted to cut and paste ingredients labels from both products, but I'm having trouble doing that. I'll link below:

http://organicfeeds.com/starter-and-grower-crumbles/

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/naturally-free-starter/

It's a personal decision, obviously. But, you asked if there's a difference, and to me, there is :)
It does matter actually! The biggest reason we are wanting to raise chickens is because my littlest cannot handle soy in her diet--even in the eggs of chickens who ate soy. Is it possible to get feed without soy and wheat if we have a mill do it? Wheat is another problem for her, but soy causes bigger issues.+

It does matter actually! The biggest reason we are wanting to raise chickens is because my littlest cannot handle soy in her diet--even in the eggs of chickens who ate soy. Is it possible to get feed without soy and wheat if we have a mill do it? Wheat is another problem for her, but soy causes bigger issues.+
It's surely possible, but we don't have problems with wheat in our family so I haven't actually researched it. You might start asking at a local (locally owned) feed store near you, or maybe a co-op or something. Maybe they would know of somebody that could help you. The person I get feed from sells pastured meats from her small farm, that's how I met her.

You could probably get away with feeding baby chicks a "regular" feed for a couple of months while you worked out what to feed them once they got ready to lay eggs.

If you have some space to let chickens free range, consider breeds that forage well, to reduce the amount of feed they needed to eat... and you can give them kitchen scraps and so forth also. All of that would make your flock a lot less dependent on a commercial feed. What if you could offer them lots of forage, plus something like this:

http://foragecakes.com/portfolio-items/farmers-helper-farmers-helper-ultrakibble/

You would probably get lots more ideas about ways to solve this if you go over to the Feeding & Watering Your Flock section of the forum.

It's surely possible, but we don't have problems with wheat in our family so I haven't actually researched it. You might start asking at a local (locally owned) feed store near you, or maybe a co-op or something. Maybe they would know of somebody that could help you. The person I get feed from sells pastured meats from her small farm, that's how I met her.

You could probably get away with feeding baby chicks a "regular" feed for a couple of months while you worked out what to feed them once they got ready to lay eggs.

If you have some space to let chickens free range, consider breeds that forage well, to reduce the amount of feed they needed to eat... and you can give them kitchen scraps and so forth also. All of that would make your flock a lot less dependent on a commercial feed. What if you could offer them lots of forage, plus something like this:

http://foragecakes.com/portfolio-items/farmers-helper-farmers-helper-ultrakibble/

You would probably get lots more ideas about ways to solve this if you go over to the Feeding & Watering Your Flock section of the forum.
Okay, thanks! That's really helpful. They will have space to free range and I can feed them kitchen scraps too. That's a good idea to go to the Feeding & Watering section.

I had very good success with the Purina Organic starter grower with my 12 chicks. Most recently had to change brands because the Purina was hard to find in my area. Check the ingredients in Purina for soy, etccc. It might be an option for ur chicks ( & you).

I agree with going soy free. If you happen to be in the Pacific Northwest, Rogue Organic Feed would be my choice-- it's cheaper than scratch n peck, and soy free where purina is not. I personally like to avoid big name brands too, and Rogue is locally sourced, produced in Oregon and available to most western states.

I agree with going soy free. If you happen to be in the Pacific Northwest, Rogue Organic Feed would be my choice-- it's cheaper than scratch n peck, and soy free where purina is not. I personally like to avoid big name brands too, and Rogue is locally sourced, produced in Oregon and available to most western states.
I am WA, so I'll have to look into Rogue Organic. Thanks for the recommendation as I love supporting local business when possible.

Back
Top Bottom