orloffer's Spoo Puppy thread! šŸ©

Here is Tessa looking very funny and long-legged today while stretching.
1620775993324.png

Tessa the spoo was very active this evening. She raced around the yard after a rubber ball for a bit (eventually started to lose interest), then came in the house and raced around like a mad poodle! Apparently when she is very active she is also very barky. And she thinks the youngest member in the family is a giant poodle toy, meant to be chased and barked at :D. Hmm...we'll have to work on that.

Several pieces of good news from today:
- She slept through the night for the first time!
- We gave her a frozen West Paw Toppl filled with soaked kibble mixed with shredded chicken, and for the first time she stayed occupied and did not bark once during our dinner. The Toppl works way better than Kongs (at least for her), because there is no possibility for her face to get stuck in it, the food is highly visible so she doesn't get discouraged and lose interest, and it is a better shape than a Kong (it is shaped more like a bowl than a cone). I am very happy with it and might need to get another one.
- I got the harness on her without much trouble (she was basically half-asleep so wasn't bitey), and was able to take her out in the front yard on a leash for the first time. I tried to keep the leash out of her view so she wouldn't bite it.

Less good news:
- When she is excited she jumps at and tries to bite my face.
- The amount of barking for reasons other than separation is increasing (expected, I guess, but not desired).
- I still haven't mustered up the courage to try the electric clippers on her.

Tessa the spoo was very active this evening. She raced around the yard after a rubber ball for a bit (eventually started to lose interest), then came in the house and raced around like a mad poodle! Apparently when she is very active she is also very barky. And she thinks the youngest member in the family is a giant poodle toy, meant to be chased and barked at :D. Hmm...we'll have to work on that.

Several pieces of good news from today:
- She slept through the night for the first time!
- We gave her a frozen West Paw Toppl filled with soaked kibble mixed with shredded chicken, and for the first time she stayed occupied and did not bark once during our dinner. The Toppl works way better than Kongs (at least for her), because there is no possibility for her face to get stuck in it, the food is highly visible so she doesn't get discouraged and lose interest, and it is a better shape than a Kong (it is shaped more like a bowl than a cone). I am very happy with it and might need to get another one.
- I got the harness on her without much trouble (she was basically half-asleep so wasn't bitey), and was able to take her out in the front yard on a leash for the first time. I tried to keep the leash out of her view so she wouldn't bite it.

Less good news:
- When she is excited she jumps at and tries to bite my face.
That happens with most puppies, from what I've seen. That means that she is over excited and needs a sec to calm down. Stand up and ignore her until she has 10 seconds of all four feet on the floor, then continue playing. If she doesn't calm down, she might need a little bit in her crate to chill out.
- The amount of barking for reasons other than separation is increasing (expected, I guess, but not desired).
For what?
If I'm in a room with Finn and he barks or whines (this usually happens when I'm on parents bed, he's in crate and wants to be on bed) I leave the room until he's quiet. He's picked up on that pretty quickly.
- I still haven't mustered up the courage to try the electric clippers on her.
Finn had a bath today but I don't have the courage to clip his nails, so we're in the same boat here lol

Back
Top Bottom