Ornamental Layer Collection from MMH, input? Received w/ Pics!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Hawkster318, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    25 in their Ornamental Layer Collection.

Anyone else ever order this collection and what did you get?

My daughters couldn't decide what they wanted to show this year (1st. year) for 4-H, so we thought we'd chance it a bit.

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

[​IMG]
    Just bumping this up for you.

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    where did you order from? mcmurray?

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to say out of all the assortments, I think that one would be one of the neatest to get, just imagine the fun of figuring out what you have as they grow [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I ordered the rare of the rarest of pullets and I had some nice assortments such as Lakenvelders, Buttercups, Polishs, SSH, Amercuana EEs, Blue Andalusians, a Red Cap, and Salmon Faverolles and Brahmas and some Cochins and an OE which it turned out to be a cockeral.

Its a real nice assortment! It was more than 18 years ago when I ordered this type of pullets and was pleased with the choices I had.

6. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes, Murray McMurray...

Ewesheep,

Sounds good, I don't think they could have changed much in that time. no? We ware looking forward to the variety.

Now my youngest, 7 y.o. wants to get ducks too. I told her the order was already in, mayybe we'd buy some ducklings at the fair.

BrahmaMama,

It should be fun, and both my girls wanna be vets, so they are excited about this order. Our first last year was just RIR Pullets from the local feed store.

7. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    I've had assortments from McMurray's and they were very interesting and a great learning experience but you will need help from someone with experience to pick your show birds. There may be an excellent bird or two in the bunch but most will be "commercial" quality rather than "show" quality. Once they feather out well, buy or borrow a standards book or just look up the breed standards online.

I don't know how big your local 4-H poultry shows are. At most small 4-H shows you can get a blue ribbon with a mediocre bird if you are knowledgeable about your breed and poultry in general. However if you want to advance to a higher level show you will need better birds than most I've seen from McMurray's.

The McMurray assortments are a great way to get some experience with different breeds but you may want to consider ordering a few chicks from a breeder with show quality birds. Or for an added learning project buy or build an incubator and purchase some eggs from show stock.

I'm not trying to discredit McMurray's. Just letting you know that with the volumes they handle they simply can't guarantee show quality birds. No one can, but a smaller breeder who is hatching eggs only from show quality stock will have a better chance of supplying you with show quality birds. [​IMG]

Good luck with your chicks!

PS. I am an extension agent and have been co-superintendant of our state 4-H poultry show for over 15 years and have seen a lot of Murray McMurray birds including some very good ones.

8. SoCaClucks

SoCaClucks New Egg

Aug 31, 2007
    Gold Beach, OR
    I too ordered the Ornamental Layer special. Can't wait to see what I get. They arrive Feb 19. Hope they make it all the way here safely. I don't really have room for all them when they grow up, so anyone in Hawaii interested in some of them?

9. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

hi Lisa, not this year but maybe next year .... we're soon to leave for an extended visit on the mainland ...

maybe by then there will still be inexpensive interisland travel ?

Candy on Maui

10. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We plan to order that as well I hope it will still be available in a week or two when My tax refund comes back. I am almost Giddy with excitment at trying to figure out what all we get!!!! Let us know how it goes we are ordering ours for the 27th of May so it will be a little warmer here when they arrive.

[​IMG] SO EXCITED

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by