Ornamental Layers will arrive in April.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chuck maddox, Mar 6, 2015.

1. chuck maddox

chuck maddox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    I've raised and shown fancy pigeons for many years but always wanted chickens too. I finally decided upon the ornamental layer collection from Murray Macmurray. I am hoping to get some crested varieties in my order. I will be building my coop in the next few weeks and trying to learn as much as I can before my new arrivals get here. I plan to socialize my birds as much as possible and hope my two chihuahuas will be accepting as well. Questions? 1) why are cedar shavings toxic in the coop? 2) I plan on using a tub brooder with an infrared heat lamp. Anything I should know when using this type of brooder. 3). How many square feet of outside area should I enclose per bird? Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks!
    Cedar, especially, has aromatic compounds that are known irritants of the skin and respiratory system, birds seem to be sensitive to them, fresh chips (that nice smell) are worst, and it does seem to gradually disappear with time, but most people just avoid them.
    Make sure the brooder has enough room for hot and cooler spots, so that the chicks can get away from the heat if they need to. You will need a lid for the brooder (screen) the chicks start jumping out pretty fast.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need Great article from the Learning Center on how much room you need for your chickens.. the general rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird inside and 10 outside.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on the advice given by Kelsie.

Here is a good diagram of square inches for chicks
    Up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
    2-4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
    4-8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick
    over 8 weeks: 4 sq ft per chick

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Surprisingly Chihuahuas and doxies, seem to massacre birds more often than bigger breeds. Possibly because owners do not feel they are a threat. We get many new chicken folks, saying they were on a 2nd.or 3rd. flock because they dogs wiped them out. Dogs like to chase chicks because they sound like squeaky toys. The dog chases and grabs one - the squeaking stops - dead chick. Then they run to catch another.

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think it may be a good idea to keep the dogs and chickens separated… Enjoy your new venture!

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC!

You've already received some great information and advice so I'll just say 'hi' and if you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your birds! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You've received some good advice already! Good luck with your future chicks. I hope you get a wide variety in the assortment.[​IMG]

10. chuck maddox

chuck maddox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    I picked up my chicks this morning when the post office opened. It looks like I got quite an assortment so I'm very pleased so far. They are all eating and drinking well but one has a leg issue. I'm not sure if it is an injury from the trip or it is splay legged. I plan to research and see what breeds I got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by