Ornamental Pheasants

Some kid took a red golden at my fair. Nothing happend to it as far as I kinow, but you never know with fair and diseases. I lost a showgirl due to disease I picked up at fair.

yep, there's no disease monitoring at those things, you never know what's there til it's too late.
Also, the disease doesnt have to come from birds, but bird people there looking, can also very well spread disease.
Then you bring that home with you, and possibly loose everything you have.

Now ask yourself, and be honest, is all that worth a county fair ribbon or a $10 bet with your dad, for a bird who will only be competing against, well, it's self, as there will be no other species there to compete against I'm sure.

bobwhite please take boggys advise he knows what he is talking about, get experienc with golden and silver first and the show bug out of your system , you will probably regret it even with them but for sure with other pheasants, another thing i should point out is that trags and imps both are from cold mountainous reigons and dont do good in heat and the greatest of care should be taken with them in the summer time and catching them for shows will be certain death for them then. also peacock pheasnts and firebacks are from tropical regions and care should be taken with them during cold winter i.e wrap pen in plastic and heat source. not to mention the four group above each member of them wil run you 100 to several 100 dollars apiece your parents will probably have a duck when they hear a price:gig their are alot of research you need to do on each bird you want to keep from haveing those near death feeling when you walk out to your birds and their your several 100 dollar bird laying dead . dont get me wrong though even the most knowledgeable people still loose birds but knowledge and experience will help you not make novice mistakes. i too started young around 10 of 11 now im 23 almost 24 i started the golden and silvers and grew from their everyfew years and now i have/had many of the birds you want and plan in the future to get cabots, i did research and talked to people around me with expeience on each bird i wanted and that helped me a ton i still had set backs but i knew more about how to fixor get around it or called someone who then helped me i hope you will do the same.

amherst and silvers are also excellent begginer birds and dontcost alot either swinhoe are also good but cost alittle more , dont get discouraged we all started just like you. me and others on here would not be doing our jobs if we did not tell you this now. nor would we be doing you or the birds you would get any favors by not telling you the facts. continue with your dreams you will be their before you know it

yep, there's no disease monitoring at those things]

Well, at my fair they check for porllum(sp?) and thats it.
Yes, diseases are plentiful and fairs, luckily, ive only lost 1 bird. knock on wood.​

yep, I think any where you go has to test for pullorum /typhoid now. But it's virtually nonexistent any more anyway. Its' the mycoplasmas, enteritis, coccidia, black head,external parasites, other various respiratory diseases, etc that really bare concern. Not only do the birds there carry it, but the people as well. Think about it this way. Who's looking at birds at shows, other bird people. Now if they have a sick bird at home, when they come by your bird to look, so does whatever they have on their clothes, shoes, etc from their home stock (which obviously) no one knows about.

anyway, we do all wish you the best of luck here, that's why I am mentioning all this to you. If I didnt care and wanted to see you fail, I'd just say, sure go for it, do anything with them, their tuff, nothing will ever happen....

But that's not the case with these birds. aside for the few common ones, all have very special care needs, and you need to be aware of all them before you buy and loose hundreds of dollars worth of birds in 1 death. I know , especially for younger people who have to work for ever to afford the initial purchase of them, that can be a real set back and be very discouraging, often leading to them just getting out of the hobby all together. I dont want to see that happen to you. You seem very much in love with these, and I want to see you succeed in keeping them. But it does require loads of research, money, time, and dedication to be successful in keeping these.

That site I PMed you with, has info on every species out there, captive care, egg production, wild habitat etc. Read EVERYTHING on it, it well help you immensely with learning all you can about the various species ans sub species out there.

he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif