Ornamental Pheasants

maybe if your just wanting something different to show ,you should look into more ornamental and rare breeds of chickens, chickens like golden laknveldes or somthing like that, that is more on the rare side not sure what your taste is but im sure with a little research you will find a chicken that will fit the bill. and will be way cheaper and hardier than pheasants,
then you will stand out more than others chickens but your bird will still be just as hardy, also possible look it to ducks because like boggy said for you purpose pheasants are going to dissappoint you

Good luck

Quote:
Do chores around the house, help neighbors,stuff like that. Plus since I'm assuming your in 4h like me( or if not,join) and do market chickens or turkeys.try to talk to your dad,even though he may not like chickens you only keep them a month or 2. I make 200 for a pen and mines not the higher ones.If you talk people I to buying your before the auction, it could go for more.

Every spring I hatch a little over a hundred chicks and sell them come fall. I can usually make some good money at flea markets and swaps.

Quote:
$40

as for cabot's, you need to get some experience under your belt first, Lord Please dont buy a pair of those super rare birds without doing that first.
These are absolutely our of your experience level and too rare and frail of a species to toy with.
I'm not talking down to you, but being realistic here. Only a very small handful of people in North American even have these, and those that do are going to be sure they go into the correct hands.
By all means, set your goals for stuff along this line, (for years down the road) glad to see you are so passionate about them, but you need way more hands on experience first before risking such a rare bird.

Get these goldens going, then move on to the longtails, then eared, then impeyans, then tragopans and peacock pheasants.
Also, do not expect the care for all the various sub groups of pheasants to be similar, there are 16 groups I think, and all are totally different. So dont assume that since ruffed pheasants are easy to keep, that monals,fireback, tragopans, and peacock pheasant will be.

Use those ruffed you have and get that got to go to the county fair thing out of your system with those if you must.
But only get these other species after you have come to realise that they are special needs birds and must be cared for in such a manner If you dont do it this way, you will loose the birds. Not being a downer, but this is how you have to be with these, or plain and simple, they'll die on you.

Keep learning and gather all the info you can on the birds you love. BUT take it slow, things will work out much better for you in the long run

Back
Top Bottom