Ornery Chicken

ChickenDad228

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2019
Mississippi
So we have four chickens, and three of them are sweet as can be, and one of them well she’s wishy washy. One of the sweet ones is a RI Red and the one with a slight temperament is also. Now I know these chickens already have aggressive tendencies but she’s a little different. She tends to be the chicken off doing its own thing, last to come get the food “by choice” when picked up and set down she puffs up and is ready for action. I’ve tried a couple different things but none seem to really be working on breaking this behavior. She only really comes and attack’s me. Coming out and attacking my feet with her beak & claws, my girlfriend comes out and feeds them every morning and has no problems but when I come out to do anything she sees me out, I thought it was just because she is the lower pecking order and the other chickens put me at the top, so she was trying to up her rank by taking me down???

She may not have anything against you personally, but may find your footwear and even your clothing style objectionable. Chickens can be very weird that way. Try selecting something different to wear into the run and see how it affects her.
See I thought it was my shoes but I’ve literally went thru every different pair even just flip flops n socks

That does sound like cockerel behavior.... but I had a hen who would always attack my feet if i wore a certain pair of muck boots... so that's actually a possibility.
If you could post a few pictures of her it might help :)

Her name is Miscellaneous

Attachments

• E907894A-B0FA-4A29-B74C-42717CA717BE.jpeg
    E907894A-B0FA-4A29-B74C-42717CA717BE.jpeg
    823.6 KB · Views: 17
  • F582AB94-E191-4B5D-8BF2-A0FA70789458.jpeg
    F582AB94-E191-4B5D-8BF2-A0FA70789458.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 945E2FE2-7A0E-4AAD-8F3D-496BF18E4AEA.jpeg
    945E2FE2-7A0E-4AAD-8F3D-496BF18E4AEA.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 18
Being stand offish is fine, it's normal, and not a problem. Many chickens just aren't into petting! Is she keeping watch for predators? That's fine too. What's not okay are these attacks, and that behavior needs to stop.
Beekissed has a very good article about managing difficult roosters, and it may help with her. Carry a weapon, as the feed bucket, or a stick or cane, and move her out of your way. Make her keep a respectful distance from you at all times, unless you actually invite her in.
You shouldn't be a flock member, you are the giant who brings food, and that's outside the flock pecking order.
Wear jeans and shoes or boots so she can't injure you, and consider having her gone if things don't improve!
Mary

Being stand offish is fine, it's normal, and not a problem. Many chickens just aren't into petting! Is she keeping watch for predators? That's fine too. What's not okay are these attacks, and that behavior needs to stop.
Beekissed has a very good article about managing difficult roosters, and it may help with her. Carry a weapon, as the feed bucket, or a stick or cane, and move her out of your way. Make her keep a respectful distance from you at all times, unless you actually invite her in.
You shouldn't be a flock member, you are the giant who brings food, and that's outside the flock pecking order.
Wear jeans and shoes or boots so she can't injure you, and consider having her gone if things don't improve!
Mary

Well she is a very attentive chicken I will say that, and when she attack’s it’s not damaging or hurtful it’s minimal, usually happens and when she does it I gently grab her and hold her till she calms then set her down. I did read something where they said if a chicken is acting like that it’s best to “address her before you stress her” meaning make sure you take care of that one first so you don’t have to worry about attack’s

There's a difference between an attack, and rude pecking for attention or goodies. I'm not a fan of that pecking either, and address it by either pecking right back (which takes really good reflexes!) or pushing the bird out of my way.
I don't think that she makes a right connection between her pecking and you picking her up. It's not behavior on your part that registers with her as you might think.
Try something else!
I've had pushy pullets sometimes, and it's not that they want what I want, it's just being pushy. Fix it!
Seriously aggressive pecking will cause wounds, even through jeans at times.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom