Ornery Hens!

The problem with cat food (some folks will tell you) is that it is almost always made with chicken. That COULD lead to concerns with disease. Many people have fed it to their birds anyway.

You can also try tuna or meal worms etc, shell on black oil sunflower seeds are a hit for treats in place of scratch and fruits until this clears up. Veggies are always good so don't stop those green veggies.

Last edited:
At this point I am definitely open to the suggestions. I love my girls and love taking pictures of them so I need them beautiful again. ;o)

Other sources of protein could be:
Dairy
-cheese
-yogurt
-milk, either liquid or powdered
Meat
cooked beans
cooked egg
nuts

Imp

One more suggestion would be to temporarily discontinue layer feed and use flock raiser instead (20% protein in flock raiser and 16% in layer). If you do this you have to be sure they have oyster shell available at all times because the flock raiser doesn't have so much calcium.

ovaunda

Try just putting their layer ration out free choice all day the giving them the scratch as a treat once or twice daily.

What usually happens is they will pick all their favorite little morsels out of the feed mixture and fill up on that and not get the correct amount of protien and vitamins/minerals from their layer feed, which could result in a defficiency or something that they are missing. Eating an abudance of feathers is usually a lack of protien or vitamin/minerals along with possible boredom.

catdaddy

Back
Top Bottom