Ornery Hens!

ovaunda

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Enoch, UT
So we now have 11 hens and 2 roos. The 2 roos are housed separate from the girls now..we had 1 in with the girls and he was getting picked on..all of his feathers were picked and he was skiddish. He's doing great by himself - separated by a fence next to the other roo (so neither are with the hens).

I have been trying to figure out why the HENS are so aggressive with one another. They have picked each others tail feathers and seem to be balding. They are not aggressive to anyone or anything else and they all lay almost daily.

They have a huge run and hen house where they will all lay in the same corner.

They love attention and will follow me around on my heels..I can pet them and pick them up without a problem...any ideas?

4-Barred Rocks
5-White Leghorns
2-Rhode Island Reds

TIA!
barnie.gif

Could it be molting? It's that time of year.
Or are you seeing them pick on one another.

Could be boredom if they are confined.

Imp

Their food is free choice. We offer layer feed and scratch together and oyster shell separate as well as occasional fruits and veggies.

I considered molting but have seen them plucking at one another - most of them are now missing their tail feathers. This only recently started so I don't know what changed.

Unfortunately they are confined to a run due to our dogs..but there is plenty of room for all of them. I do laugh because at night they roost together fine. Just like my kids..get along one minute and hate one another the next.

How do I curb the boredom if that's what it is?

If they aren't crowded, try more protein in their diet. Less scratch. If they are molting and laying they need more. They are probably eating those feathers.

Back
Top Bottom