Orphan keet... hen won't take late hatchling?

Texifornia

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
So we let our broody hen sit on a clutch of eggs, some hers and a few from the guineas. A week ago a single chick hatched. Broody sat for another day or two, then gave up on the rest and has been in mommy mode with the one chick, scratching in the coop all day. Last night at lock up, I heard frantic peeping and thought the chick was stuck, but low and behold, a guinea keet was hatching out alone in the laying box. Hadn't been sat on all week!! I'm still baffled. It's July in Texas so maybe it was just hot and humid enough?
Mama and chick were bunkered down in a separate corner of the coop. I tried to show her the keet but she pecked it. So instead I took the keet out, let mama and chick settle down into the laying box for the night, then slipped the keet back under when she was relaxed. That seemed to work well and she sat on them all night, but this morning the keet was curled up in a corner of the coop away from the laying box, mama and chick were still cozy in the laying box, and then quickly went out to their usual pecking and scratching, clearly with no regard for the keet. Maybe it was so little that it couldn't keep up, but once it can she'll let it? Still unsure how it ended up out of the laying box though, unless she somehow kicked it out. Literally.
I've pulled the keet out and put it in it's own box with a heat lamp for now, and if I need to raise it alone I will, but... is there any way to get momma to take the keet? In my experience, raising a lone chick or keet doesn't usually go well, and if they make it past feathering, they are a target for predators once they are out in the yard because they're always alone.
I don't have any other broodys at the moment, just the "new mom".
Any tips on getting her to take the keet or is it too late?

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Broody's (most) don't take other chicks this late in my experience. All their focus is on their clutch and adding extras is just extra to provide for when they wanna give the best chance possible to the one(s) they think will survive to further their genetics. The new babe is viewed as an intruder and user of resources.

While it may not be very kind to the hen... you could consider confiscating the first keet to raise with the late hatching one in the brooder. Then mum will return to lay sooner... at least in chickens, I have ZERO guinea experience. :fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Broody's (most) don't take other chicks this late in my experience. All their focus is on their clutch and adding extras is just extra to provide for when they wanna give the best chance possible to the one(s) they think will survive to further their genetics. The new babe is viewed as an intruder and user of resources.

While it may not be very kind to the hen... you could consider confiscating the first keet to raise with the late hatching one in the brooder. Then mum will return to lay sooner... at least in chickens, I have ZERO guinea experience. :fl

Thank you, that might not be a bad idea! Maybe if I even put the chick and keet together for a day and let them become "pals", then bring the hen back around them tomorrow and see if she accepts them back as a pair? Chickens can't count... if they are running around together maybe she'll forget she only had one??? lol

Back
Top Bottom