Orphan Kitten

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
2 days ago someone gave me a kitten that the parents abandoned due to the flood in our area. He is supposed to be 7 weeks old but have been supposedly bottle fed since 2 weeks of age. He is adorable and loving but isn't playful yet. He is supposedly a main coon mix. I really hope he gets big but he is a short hair. He came from a litter of 7 kittens of which 1 died. They were all different colors. I've been carrying him around with me to make up for him not having siblings or a mom. He sleeps with a hot water bottle and a blanket to stay warm since he gets cold quick. He seems alert and everything but his butt is chapped and his poo has been watery but that might be from the formula. He's eating canned food since he won't eat dry food even if it has water on it. I'm hoping he makes it! Here's a picture. How old does he look?
21337_p1010105.jpg

Looks A LOT younger than 7 weeks....I'd get him checked out by a vet ASAP. Watery diarrhea needs to be treated quickly, or he will dehydrate. And I would have him tested for FeLV/FIV and dewormed. Cutie though!!

7 weeks looks about right. Its kitten season in the vets offices right now I've seen and had my fare share. I have a pair right now I bottle raised from newborns, and we have a litter of 6 at work we switching back and forth that are maybe a week old now. I definately recommend getting him checked out and have a fecal done. Watery diarrhea could be coccidia(kitty strain, chickens cant get), intestinal parasites, even panleuk.. He's old enough to get his first vaccines too when the diarrhea is all cleared up. Also a FelV/FIV test is always a given.

At this age he can produce his own heat and you shouldn't have to put thermal supports in with him. He might get dependant on having it warmer all the time. For his chapped bum you can dab a little desatin on it and make sure it stays clean.

Pedialyte(plain unflavored) will help prevent dehydration if you cant get him in to see a vet right away (like today or tomorrow) BUT I urge you to have him seen because once the effects of the diarrhea do hit its a fast downhill slope.

Good luck I hope he makes it!
smile.png

He just pooped a little while ago and it was solid but he doesn't have a very big appetite. I'm going to get him checked out in 2 weeks. I only work part-time at minimum wage so I need to save up so I'll have enough money to pay the vet bill. He at about a spoon full of canned food before and he hasn't tried since. I didn't wake up until noon today so he might have already ate while I was sleeping. I also gave him a little bene-bac and some KMR before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom