Orphington: hen or roo?

Sorry, it was Ridgeway. After receiving the day olds, I emailed to say "what are these, I love them already but its not what I ordered". The response I got was some blue Swedish mixes and I hadn't ordered any blue Swedish, let alone mixes. I emailed back stating that and still haven't heard a response and the are now 15 weeks old.

Sorry, it was Ridgeway. After receiving the day olds, I emailed to say "what are these, I love them already but its not what I ordered". The response I got was some blue Swedish mixes and I hadn't ordered any blue Swedish, let alone mixes. I emailed back stating that and still haven't heard a response and the are now 15 weeks old.

Did you pay with a credit card? Give the hatchery one last chance to refund your money and make it right. Tell them that you'll do a charge-back if they do not resolve the matter. And if they don't do what needs to be done--in this case, refunding what you paid for the order--follow through and do a charge-back. Call your credit card company, and that will start everything rolling. When you do the charge-back, the credit card company will ask you to send them your corroborating evidence. Include your original order, their response saying the birds weren't what you ordered, and your follow-up email. You should have no problems getting the charge taken off your credit card.

What the hatchery did was wrong. You've tried to be nice and get them to make it right, and they've ignored you. Now show them you weren't kidding by hitting them in the pocketbook.

I did pay with my debit card but I chalked it up to experience. That was the first time I had ordered from a hatchery and it will be the last time as well. I also order 10 day old chicks at the same time and they were all suppose to be hens. 5 of them have turned out to be roos and one of the ducks is a drake. Sometimes you really get what you pay for. I was shocked that the total for 5 SLW, 5 BO, 2 cayuga ducklings and 2 Khakis was only $28 including shipping. I am the "glass is half full" kind of person and I am extremely happy that they are all very healthly and beautiful and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I did pay with my debit card but I chalked it up to experience. That was the first time I had ordered from a hatchery and it will be the last time as well. I also order 10 day old chicks at the same time and they were all suppose to be hens. 5 of them have turned out to be roos and one of the ducks is a drake. Sometimes you really get what you pay for. I was shocked that the total for 5 SLW, 5 BO, 2 cayuga ducklings and 2 Khakis was only $28 including shipping. I am the "glass is half full" kind of person and I am extremely happy that they are all very healthly and beautiful and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Don't hold this experience against all hatcheries. This one seems to have really done a bad job. I've ordered hundreds of birds from hatcheries, and while they will never be show birds, they have all been the correct breeds. Large hatcheries have a sexing guarantee, and would have refunded your money for those badly-sexed roosters no questions asked. It sounds to me like this hatchery is running a really shoddy operation. I still think you should do a chargeback, just to show them that they can't have service this terrible and not pay a penalty for it.

Well, one good thing has come out of this, for me at least--I am always looking at hatcheries in Ohio because I like to drive and pick up my chicks instead of having them mailed. Ridgeway hatchery is off my list.

Don't hold this experience against all hatcheries. This one seems to have really done a bad job. I've ordered hundreds of birds from hatcheries, and while they will never be show birds, they have all been the correct breeds. Large hatcheries have a sexing guarantee, and would have refunded your money for those badly-sexed roosters no questions asked. It sounds to me like this hatchery is running a really shoddy operation. I still think you should do a chargeback, just to show them that they can't have service this terrible and not pay a penalty for it.

Well, one good thing has come out of this, for me at least--I am always looking at hatcheries in Ohio because I like to drive and pick up my chicks instead of having them mailed. Ridgeway hatchery is off my list.
I like McMurray hatchery. There was another one I really liked that did a breeding pen tour, but I can not find it anywhere.. it was really neat to see inside the hatchery and how the birds were treated.

I like McMurray because I've heard plenty of good things about them. Really wouldn't recommend them for breeding birds, but for layers, they are very suitable.

I like McMurray hatchery. There was another one I really liked that did a breeding pen tour, but I can not find it anywhere.. it was really neat to see inside the hatchery and how the birds were treated.

I like McMurray because I've heard plenty of good things about them. Really wouldn't recommend them for breeding birds, but for layers, they are very suitable.

MMM is my favorite. They are my go-to hatchery, and I swear their EEs lay better than EEs from any other hatchery I've tried. And I've gotten some very pretty birds from them, too. Wish I could drive to pick up birds from them, I'd never order from anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom