Orpington 2 year old hen

Christian chick61

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2019
I have a sweet buff Orpington 2 yrs old that is getting constantly beat up by Both my roosters and the younger (1yr old) hens. She is scared to come out of the coop when I open it up in the am. She will stay in there all day if I don’t take her out. They have a large coop with a large 8x20 foot run. I let them all out to range in the yard every am
If she even pokes her head out of the run, one or both of the rooster will run to where she is and chase her back in the coop...twice I have had to separate her because she was beaten and bloody.
I have put her out in the yard(large chicken yard) only to find either both roosters or a rooster and hen kicking and pecking her. She has little to no feathers on the back of her neck.
She does not fight with the rooster. As soon as 1 of them approaches she squats like they can mate, then instead of mating,the rooster begins beating
We have 2 roosters,1 white rock and 1 lavender Orpington,and 15 hens

The Orpington rooster is the one that usually goes after her, but sometimes it’s the white rock. Both Roosters were born last spring and were raised with her being in the flock. The problem began when they started mating with all the hens.
Any ideas on how to stop this?
At this time I have her in a separate pen because she got beat up again

You have too many roosters for your hens. You need at least 10-12 girls per rooster. Even then some roosters will still over mate a couple "favorites".

I won't keep any rooster that beats up on hens. That, along with attacking chicks, people and being overly aggressive towards other roosters (some fighting is to be expected) are automatic tickets to freezer camp in my book.

I use grape koolaid powder mixed in some me made calendula salve and smear it on the backs of the victim. It seems to help keep the bullying down.

You have too many roosters for your hens. You need at least 10-12 girls per rooster. Even then some roosters will still over mate a couple "favorites".
Especially with more than one male in residence.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

They have a large coop
How large is 'large' in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help.

Depending on your goals, I'd suggest you get rid of one or both males.
Or at least isolate one of the males....see if things shape up.
Multiple males creates an environment of competition,
and can bring out the worst of all the males behaviors.
I've seen this happen, and upon separating extraneous males the remaining one immediately calmed down. A wire dog crate is very handy for this purpose.

Back
Top Bottom