Orpington Breeds (What are they all?)

The jubilee and mottled are so beautiful.
Just to make sure this is clear, their are no behavior or egg color differences between these birds? They all lay the brown egg and all are sweet and gentle?
Behavior and egg color depends on the breeding line, and the individual- but these are all Orpingtons and should all lay brown eggs, and are usually pretty gentle. The color varieties do not affect the breed: if If I say I have a bantam frizzled lavender English orpington hen, bantam tells you the size, frizzled tells you the feather type, lavender tells you the color, English tells you the country of origin (not used in many breeds. Most commonly seen with english/american orpington and french/american marans) orpington tells you the breed, and hen tells you the gender. (for the record, I've never heard of a bantam frizzled lavender orp- It's just a clarification using an orp as an example)

Last edited:
There's lavender and some one here is working on crele.
I believe @MysteryChicken has a crele orpington project going.
The crele Orpingtons other people breed aren’t the same as MysteryChicken’s birds. They’re barred partridge (partridge, silver partridge, blue partridge, etc are also color varieties). They look like this- https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs/Crele-English-Orpington-p2334.aspx.
This website has a lot of varieties listed with pictures- https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.html.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201118-211829~2.png
    Screenshot_20201118-211829~2.png
    409.1 KB · Views: 4
The jubilee and mottled are so beautiful.
Just to make sure this is clear, their are no behavior or egg color differences between these birds? They all lay the brown egg and all are sweet and gentle?
Most orps are gentle giants, but there can be individual personality differences as well as different genetic differences. My Laced Orps lay a tan & sometimes speckled egg. My lavs have a slight pinkish hue.

Behavior and egg color depends on the breeding line, and the individual- but these are all Orpingtons and should all lay brown eggs, and are usually pretty gentle. The color varieties do not affect the breed: if If I say I have a bantam frizzled lavender orpington hen, bantam tells you the size, frizzled tells you the feather type, lavender tells you the color, orpington tells you the breed, and hen tells you the gender. (for the record, I've never heard of a bantam frizzled lavender orp- It's just a clarification using an orp as an example)
Well said.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom