Orpington Breeds (What are they all?)

Most orps are gentle giants, but there can be individual personality differences as well as different genetic differences. My Laced Orps lay a tan & sometimes speckled egg. My lavs have a slight pinkish hue.

Forgot to add that my lavs never went broody but some of my laced enjoy hatching and raising chicks about once a year. I have a big blue girl who "wants" to hatch eggs but tends to be clumsy and accidently smooshes eggs/chicks. For her, we give some egg-shaped rocks and then slip the incubator chicks under when they're a couple days old. Then there's my little bantam Cookie, who seems to go broody at any time. She also adopts everything that peeps. Bantams seem to love being mamas.

My little Cookie raising about 2 doz full-sized English Orps.
IMG_9339.JPG

Forgot to add that my lavs never went broody but some of my laced enjoy hatching and raising chicks about once a year. I have a big blue girl who "wants" to hatch eggs but tends to be clumsy and accidently smooshes eggs/chicks. For her, we give some egg-shaped rocks and then slip the incubator chicks under when they're a couple days old. Then there's my little bantam Cookie, who seems to go broody at any time. She also adopts everything that peeps. Bantams seem to love being mamas.

My little Cookie raising about 2 doz full-sized English Orps.
View attachment 2416114
She is so puffy looking!!!

The crele Orpingtons other people breed aren’t the same as MysteryChicken’s birds. They’re barred partridge (partridge, silver partridge, blue partridge, etc are also color varieties). They look like this- https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs/Crele-English-Orpington-p2334.aspx.
This website has a lot of varieties listed with pictures- https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.html.
One of my F2 solids have some partridge patterning, & Dino has a colored wing bar like regular creles. It's gold in color. I'll get a good picture tomorrow.

Well, yes, but they are barred wheaten, not barred partridge, right? Even though they may have some similar patterns.
They maybe E^Wh/e^b.
My Project Orpington hen has salmon breasts, so I think she carries e+.

Wheatens also have the wing bar, but I'm pretty certain my birds carry partridge.

Back
Top Bottom