Orpington chicks growing up

Here are the chicks at 8 weeks old. Three of the boys still have baby fluff round their tails, though this does mean I can see their shinier saddle feathers developing.

Little Boy Blue

Blueberry Muffin

Butternut (she looks like an orange ball at the moment - she's so round and fat - I feel like she's a bit of an ugly duckling at the moment)

Cuddles

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll

Sooty

Miss Muffet

Here are the chicks at 8 weeks old. Three of the boys still have baby fluff round their tails, though this does mean I can see their shinier saddle feathers developing.

Little Boy Blue

Blueberry Muffin

Butternut (she looks like an orange ball at the moment - she's so round and fat - I feel like she's a bit of an ugly duckling at the moment)

Cuddles

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll

Sooty

Miss Muffet
Looking great! Butternut is going to be 1 plump fluffy chicken! Just lovely!

Here are the babies at 9 weeks old. It took me two days to get a half decent shot of Fairy Floss because she just wants to sit on my shoulder. As soon as I crouch down she's angling to climb up my back to get to my shoulder, then she just sits. She is a funny chicken.

They spent their first night outside last night - it was quite cold but they came through fine. My husband (bless him) checked on them at midnight to make sure they were all ok. Except this morning we heard one of the boys crowing! So we will have to bring them in at night so we don't annoy the neighbours, and we will have to take the boys back as soon as we can. It's too far to just keep taking the odd boy back so they can all go together.

Little Boy Blue

Blueberry Muffin (sorry for the weird angle)

Butternut (who still looks more like a quail than a chicken because of her shape)

Cuddles

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll (who is becoming very friendly)

Sooty

Miss Muffet

Here are the babies at 9 weeks old. It took me two days to get a half decent shot of Fairy Floss because she just wants to sit on my shoulder. As soon as I crouch down she's angling to climb up my back to get to my shoulder, then she just sits. She is a funny chicken.

They spent their first night outside last night - it was quite cold but they came through fine. My husband (bless him) checked on them at midnight to make sure they were all ok. Except this morning we heard one of the boys crowing! So we will have to bring them in at night so we don't annoy the neighbours, and we will have to take the boys back as soon as we can. It's too far to just keep taking the odd boy back so they can all go together.

Little Boy Blue

Blueberry Muffin (sorry for the weird angle)

Butternut (who still looks more like a quail than a chicken because of her shape)

Cuddles

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll (who is becoming very friendly)

Sooty

Miss Muffet
Maybe "Fairfloss" thinks she is a pirate's parrot!
lau.gif
You won't want her up there full grown.She'll be rather heavy!

Maybe "Fairfloss" thinks she is a pirate's parrot!
lau.gif
You won't want her up there full grown.She'll be rather heavy!
Yes, I am rather hoping she grows out of that trick, especially seeing as she likes to climb on top of my head occasionally!

It's just the girls now. They are 10 weeks old. Butternut has finally sprouted a tail so looks more like a chicken. She's also the biggest and she's a real cuddle. Fairy Floss continues to prefer sitting on my shoulder and still tries to get on my head!!! She's so cheeky and confident.

Butternut

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll

Miss Muffet

Sadly we had one of our 20 week old Pekin (Cochin) Bantams die. She couldn't stand up on her legs (though would still kick furiously when I picked her up). I tried vitamins and antibiotics and she seemed to be picking up, but on Friday, after being immobile for a week, she would barely open her eyes and I knew the end was nigh. Our daughter is devastated (as am I) as she was the sweetest and friendliest of the 4 we'd hatched and we'd already nursed them through a bout of respiratory disease (which they could only have picked up from a wild bird).

We have another bantam (I'm pretty sure I forgot about her when telling you what we had, Penny!) who has been broody for as long as we've had the Orpington chicks. She was not giving up until something hatched. So we now have 4 new Silkie chicks that we picked up yesterday and put under her last night. So that's helping to fill the void left behind by our little Calypso. They are utterly gorgeous and the breeder thinks he's given us 4 girls (he vent sexed them). I will put up some photos of them once I have some good ones as they are too cute not to share.

It's just the girls now. They are 10 weeks old. Butternut has finally sprouted a tail so looks more like a chicken. She's also the biggest and she's a real cuddle. Fairy Floss continues to prefer sitting on my shoulder and still tries to get on my head!!! She's so cheeky and confident.

Butternut

Fairy Floss

Cinnamon Roll

Miss Muffet

Sadly we had one of our 20 week old Pekin (Cochin) Bantams die. She couldn't stand up on her legs (though would still kick furiously when I picked her up). I tried vitamins and antibiotics and she seemed to be picking up, but on Friday, after being immobile for a week, she would barely open her eyes and I knew the end was nigh. Our daughter is devastated (as am I) as she was the sweetest and friendliest of the 4 we'd hatched and we'd already nursed them through a bout of respiratory disease (which they could only have picked up from a wild bird).

We have another bantam (I'm pretty sure I forgot about her when telling you what we had, Penny!) who has been broody for as long as we've had the Orpington chicks. She was not giving up until something hatched. So we now have 4 new Silkie chicks that we picked up yesterday and put under her last night. So that's helping to fill the void left behind by our little Calypso. They are utterly gorgeous and the breeder thinks he's given us 4 girls (he vent sexed them). I will put up some photos of them once I have some good ones as they are too cute not to share.
Look forward to pictures!

Hi Jae. This is ''Mean'' Mabel. She likes to ''remind'' all those lower in the pecking order of their place in life. Imagine that fatty on your shoulder LOL. Cheers Penny.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom