Orpington chicks late feathering?

Chickensofeden

Hatching
Jun 8, 2023
Hi all, am new to this site,this is my first post :)
I have some silver and gold laced orpington chicks, they are 3 weeks old but i just feel that the silver laced chicks are taking ages to feather out? I dont know if this is related to gender, but as you can see the gold ones have a lot more feather. They were hatched under 2 broody bantams but i took over as mother hens started attacking each others babies.
20230608_084241.jpg
20230608_084241.jpg
Tia

Welcome to BYC. :frowI have seen a lot of different feathering rates through the years, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I am not familiar with that breed, but some breeds do seem to feather out faster or slower. As long as she is healthy and eating the same amount it should be fine.

A lot of folks will say that you can tell gender with feathering rates, but from what I understand it is only with very specific breeds or crosses. That fact has kind of created a myth that feathering rates will give you information, but it doesn't most of the time. You can post here with pictures at 5-8 weeks and people will most likely be able to tell.

Were they under the same mom, or different ones?

So i ordered eggs by post, and used 2 broody bantams, there were 4 under each one and they all hatched around the same time. So far my only experience of feather sexing was with some booted bantam chicks, the one female feathered out first, then the 2nd hatch of that breed were all different feathering rates but it did not indicate gender, the only way i could tell was when their little combs started turning red, the males much faster! Ive just never seen 3 week old chicks with so little feathering on them! Thankyou for the welcome and reply 😊

Hi! I breed orps and they are very slow feathering in general. Specific kinds feather slower. I find jubilees feather slower than my buffs. Totally normal. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Back
Top Bottom