Orpington Color Breeding Chart

MjChickens

Songster
Jun 30, 2010
La Center, Wa
Hello,
Could someone point me in the right direction to find a color chart for breeding Orpingtons?
I have a blue and chocolate Orp chicks and am told that they can be sexed by color and would like to find the correct information for colors.
TIA for any help.

Last edited:
Hi Mysterychicken,
Thank you for responding!
I dont have any pics currently. I do know they are one blue roo and one chocolate pullet. But want to understand the colors better and how the color work with each.
I am also wondering how the chocolate would work with any BBS or if I should steer clear of that.

Hi Mysterychicken,
Thank you for responding!
I dont have any pics currently. I do know they are one blue roo and one chocolate pullet. But want to understand the colors better and how the color work with each.
I am also wondering how the chocolate would work with any BBS or if I should steer clear of that.
bbs-chart.jpg

There's such thing as a chocolate splash.
Here's a BBS inheritance chart.

Breeding black to chocolates will produce chocolate splits, which can be bred to make more chocolates for example.

Chocolate isn't sexable. It's sex linked so it can be used to make sex linked offspring.
The only way it works is by breeding a chocolate rooster over certain non chocolate hens.
If you breed a chocolate rooster to a black hen you will get chocolate pullets and black cockerels.
In your situation breeding a blue rooster to a chocolate hen will give you on average 50% blue offspring and 50% black offspring.
All male offspring will carry a gene for chocolate. Female offspring will not.

I have a blue and chocolate Orp chicks and am told that they can be sexed by color and would like to find the correct information for colors.

I agree with the Moonshiner. You can not sex blue or chocolate chicks at hatch based on their color. An exception to that rule is the sex-linked nature of the Chocolate gene as explained above.

Crossing Blue and Chocolate will result in Mauve.

Chicken Genetics

Chocolate x Splash = Mauve

pullets and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Splash x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Blue x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Blue split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Splash pullets, Splash cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Blue split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Splash pullets, Blue cockerels, Splash cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Black split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, Blue cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Black split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue cockerels, Black cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Hello,
Could someone point me in the right direction to find a color chart for breeding Orpingtons?
TIA for any help.
Chicken Genetics

Chocolate x Splash = Mauve

pullets and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Splash x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Blue x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Blue split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Splash pullets, Splash cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Blue split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Splash pullets, Blue cockerels, Splash cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Black split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, Blue cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels

Black split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue cockerels, Black cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom