Orpington Color Question

lemondsm

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Yulee, FL
Sorry guys if this has been posted before. I did search the threads and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I have tried the genetic charts and sites and maybe its just me but I am struggling with this.

I have the following orpingtons and I am wondering if someone can tell me what chicks I could expect out of these combinations. Thank you for your patience.

1. Blue Roo x Buff Hen

2. Blue Roo x Black Hen

3. Buff Roo x Black Hen

4. Buff Roo x Buff Hen (I would assume 100% buff chicks?)

Thank you in advance!
smile.png

1. Blue Roo x Buff Hen - 50% blue 50% black offspring with a lot of gold or possibly silver leakage. Some may carry dun too. The leakage will resemble Partridge to some people.

2. Blue Roo x Black Hen - 50% blue 50% black

3. Buff Roo x Black Hen - Black offspring with a lot of gold or possibly with males, yellow and red/orange leakage. Some may be dun with a lot of leakage, some people think they resemble partridge.

4. Buff Roo x Buff Hen - Buff offspring

Buff x any solid color but Buff = varied messed up "mutt colors" since Buff is actually several different genes, while Blue, White, Dun, Black are pretty simple.

Thanks Illia.

So, would you not recommend breeding a buff roo with anything other than a buff hen? When you say mutt colors you don't mean some black, splash, etc. You mean like a mottled or distorted color pattern?

Yeah, a mottled/distorted pattern. There's a couple threads that show what it looks like.

Buff only works well with Buff, yes.

You can breed it with other colors as long as you don't plan to show the offspring or sell the offspring/eggs as showable birds.
wink.png

What about the leakage and dun you mentioned with the blue roo.....is that showable? I want to breed what is desired. That is what I happen to have in my orp flock.

No, not showable.

The only showable ones are Buff x Buff and Blue x Black. And, of course, the type and weight are seriously important too.
wink.png

The only showable colors are those that are recognized - Blue, Black, Buff, and White.

Okay. That makes sense.
smile.png

Would the other colors be desired? I understand if they are not recognized but I know there are splash, lavendars, chocolates, dun and even some laced are highly desired. Would any of the leakages or mottled colors you describe be desired by enthusiasts?

No, they wouldn't. Other desired non-recognized colors breed true. Buff x Blue or Black creates something that does not breed true.

Back
Top Bottom