Orpington Feeding Issues

hardrain

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Hi friends,

We recently became the adopted parents of 6 nine-month old Buff Orpingtons. They're wonderful and lovely but adjusting slowly. They refuse to eat the pellets we are feeding them (about 5 days now) and are tearing my heart out with their squawking.

I've been hand feeding them a little and they eat but lose interest and can't seem to understand there's lots of food there. I've tried changing feed troughs, feeding on the ground in the run, and read somewhere that transitioning feeds sometimes can be eased by making a warm mush so I tried that too. Even tried multiple feeds. Nothing's working so far...

Anyone have any ideas?

Our ladies and we will be very grateful!

Thanks!

We tied crumbles first, and the second feed we tried was pellets. Only tried making the warm mash with the pellets... Working with the previous owner to sort it out. My fingers are crossed, but I'd feel better knowing any suggestions you all have.

Can you offer scraps? Will they eat other food besides grains? What about scratch?

Also, are they eating while you aren't there monitoring? Find their very favourite people food and mix it with their own pellets/crumble.

My BO's will eat allmost anything in their way. Sometimes I even have to be careful of my fingers. Their favorate snack is unseasoned Top Roman. They also like melon, pumpkins, greens, popcorn, and cut grapes. I find it fun giving them snacks. I just leave their main food source out where they can get to it when they what or need it.

Last edited:
My BO's will eat allmost anything in their way.  Sometimes I even have to be careful of my fingers.  Their favorate snack is unseasoned Top Roman.  They also like melon, pumpkins, greens, popcorn, and cut  grapes.  I find it fun giving them snacks.  I just leave their main food source out where they can git to it when they what or need it.

My Bo's favourite was balonie :oops:

Interesting. That's my experience with our white leghorns. They'd gobble up anything we put in front of them...

My housemate thinks they're dissatisfied with the coop floor -- which is wide gauge chicken wire. We lost our first 2 to a burrowing Raccoon, so this time we've built a fortress. Any thoughts on how this might affect feeding?

Interesting. That's my experience with our white leghorns. They'd gobble up anything we put in front of them...

My housemate thinks they're dissatisfied with the coop floor -- which is wide gauge chicken wire. We lost our first 2 to a burrowing Raccoon, so this time we've built a fortress. Any thoughts on how this might affect feeding?
Why don't you put plywood down and use shavings on top of that? They can't dig through wood.

Back
Top Bottom