Orpington or Australorp???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mthrclckr, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mthrclckr

mthrclckr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    I apologize BIG if this is like the umpteenth time you're seeing a post on this matter (I've posted this at two other sites). If you have already responded on one of the other sites, don't worry about posting here. I'm keeping track of ALL replies.

I hatched and raised what I was POSITIVE to be black Orpington bantams last year, and yesterday, I was informed that what I have are NOT Orpingtons but Australorps! I'd NEVER heard of Australorps in the bantam size here in the U.S. but I was told that there are. I'm now very worried because I have sold a rooster and some of his offspring as Orpingtons (I had no reason to believe that they were anything else) and from what I was told, the rooster was being used for a pretty big breeding project.

Breed is not a big concern for me because I don't show. I breed these for my joy and pleasure only. But until I can tell buyers under no uncertain terms what they're getting, I'm going to have to stop selling altogether. So here are the photos of the birds:

First pair (rooster was sold):
    [​IMG]

Rooster of second pair:
    [​IMG]

Hen of second pair:
    [​IMG]

These were all hatched from eggs from the same stock (received two batches and hatched a pair from each). The parents of the birds pictured were shown as black Orpington bantams and I'm told they did well. So if they are in fact NOT Orpingtons, they must be "Orpington enough" to fool judges.

If photos of offspring are necessary, I can provide. If a close-up of eye color is needed, I can provide this, too. I'm very concerned, now. I realize that Australorps were developed from Orpingtons, but I'm sure there are subtle differences and it would be undesirable to accidentally use an Australorp for an Orpington breeding project.

Thanks for any help!

-Naomi

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I say orp, either way they are very pretty [​IMG]

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

OPRPINGTON ! just look at that cute little face hehehe [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Look like orps to me [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They look just like my black orp bantams.

[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Australorp- Black Orpington... AREN'T THEY THE EXACT SAME THING?

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    There ya go.

Thanx

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    There ARE Bantam Australorps hanging around but they are fewer and farther in between.

They look like Orps to me! [​IMG] I would guess that the Australorps would be having MORE red surface areas in their faces. I could be wrong! They do look alike but something should stand out more!

10. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Look just like my bantam orp girls too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by