Orpington or Australorp?

krismares

Chirping
May 18, 2018
Rural NC
When I purchased 5 birds several years ago, I purchased black Orpingtons. Always thought that is what I had. Being in here and seeing the resemblance to australorpe, now I wonder. Which is it?

Attachments

• 70D3A39F-A960-4675-A194-71480D98176D.jpeg
    70D3A39F-A960-4675-A194-71480D98176D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Probably regular Orpington.... English standard.

Seems like the Australorps have much taller combs. I'm sure there are probably other differences that can be brought to light. But several years back, I don't think Australorps were all that available either.

Australorp... is an Australian Orpington. :)
Well I learned something new! I was told he (and the other 4 that I’ve lost over the last 5 years) were English orpingtons.

When I purchased 5 birds several years ago, I purchased black Orpingtons. Always thought that is what I had. Being in here and seeing the resemblance to australorpe, now I wonder. Which is it?
Orpingtons are bigger, heavier and usually fluffier. That's about the only difference between black Orps and Australorps. Australorps were originally a production bred version of the black Orp, with some crossing to get better laying ability.

I think this one is an Orpington because it's pretty fluffy, and that fluffiness conceals much of the legs. And it resembles a buff Orpington in everything but color.

Australorp is more slender like the one I have in my profile's photo. Orpingtons are bigger and fluffier so the body-shape is different. I think yours is an English standard Orpington.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom