Orpington pullets squatting, but no eggs

1stgradechick

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
Hi, I'm diving in to Orpington world and have 9 buff pullets to start. They are about 22 or 23 weeks old and haven't started laying yet. Two will squat when I walk in the coop, but no eggs. One has been doing this at least 2 weeks and the other started a few days ago. They have a nest box with fake eggs, dust bath, layer pellets free choice, scratch grain 2x per day fresh water at least once a day, sometimes 2x if it gets dirty and Grit and oyster shells free choice. They look healthy with shiny feathers and good activity levels. Is there something I need to do different? Also, they went through their first molt over a month ago

That molt was probably a juvenile molt. They got rid of their baby feathers and grew adult feathers. That sounds a week or two late but they don't all follow the same schedule. They generally don't lay when they are growing in new feathers, they use the nutrition that would go into making eggs to make feathers. Hopefully yours are over that.

I once saw a 13 week old pullet squat for a 13 week old cockerel. She did not lay for at least another month and a half. Squatting is a sign they might be getting close to lay but it is not a sure thing.

How bright red are the combs and wattles? They tend to get bright red combs and wattles when they are laying or close to laying. Again it is not a guarantee but it is a pretty good clue. I trust that more than squatting.

A common reason for us to think that they are not laying is that they hide a nest. That happens a lot. They can be pretty sneaky in hiding a nest in the coop. let alone in the run or if they free range.

Some critters eat eggs. I'm not sure where in the world you are located or what critters you might have around, but in the USA the common critters that take eggs without leaving signs behind are snakes, canines, and humans. Snakes eat eggs then leave for two or three days to digest them before coming back for more. If it is consistent each day you don't have a snake problem. A fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your hens so it is highly unlikely to be them, but a dog might eat eggs without bothering your hens. My folks called dogs like this a biscuit eater. Does a dog have access? A human doesn't have to be a thief, some people think this kind of stuff makes a good practical joke.

So what can you do? Put a marked egg down here and see if it disappears. That will tell you that something is getting them. If they free range can you lock them in your coop/run? Or if they are in a run can you lock them in your coop only for a few days? If eggs show up either they are hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eater.

But what I think is most likely is that they just haven't started laying yet. That's the most common reason you aren't getting eggs from young pullets like yours. They just haven't started laying yet. I don't see anything you are doing wrong. You can try some of this stuff but I really think patience is the best solution.

That molt was probably a juvenile molt. They got rid of their baby feathers and grew adult feathers. That sounds a week or two late but they don't all follow the same schedule. They generally don't lay when they are growing in new feathers, they use the nutrition that would go into making eggs to make feathers. Hopefully yours are over that.

I once saw a 13 week old pullet squat for a 13 week old cockerel. She did not lay for at least another month and a half. Squatting is a sign they might be getting close to lay but it is not a sure thing.

How bright red are the combs and wattles? They tend to get bright red combs and wattles when they are laying or close to laying. Again it is not a guarantee but it is a pretty good clue. I trust that more than squatting.

A common reason for us to think that they are not laying is that they hide a nest. That happens a lot. They can be pretty sneaky in hiding a nest in the coop. let alone in the run or if they free range.

Some critters eat eggs. I'm not sure where in the world you are located or what critters you might have around, but in the USA the common critters that take eggs without leaving signs behind are snakes, canines, and humans. Snakes eat eggs then leave for two or three days to digest them before coming back for more. If it is consistent each day you don't have a snake problem. A fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your hens so it is highly unlikely to be them, but a dog might eat eggs without bothering your hens. My folks called dogs like this a biscuit eater. Does a dog have access? A human doesn't have to be a thief, some people think this kind of stuff makes a good practical joke.

So what can you do? Put a marked egg down here and see if it disappears. That will tell you that something is getting them. If they free range can you lock them in your coop/run? Or if they are in a run can you lock them in your coop only for a few days? If eggs show up either they are hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eater.

But what I think is most likely is that they just haven't started laying yet. That's the most common reason you aren't getting eggs from young pullets like yours. They just haven't started laying yet. I don't see anything you are doing wrong. You can try some of this stuff but I really think patience is the best solution.
Thank you! 😊 they are in a coop and run because the predator load where I live is very high. I can't rule out snakes, but my coop and run are fairly secure. I will continue to watch, hopefully I'll get eggs soon

Last edited:
20220712_102455.jpg
this is Gertrude. Gertrude is a good girl. Gertrude laid her first egg today. No drama or fanfare. I strive to be like Gertrude.

Attachments

• 20220712_102424.jpg
    20220712_102424.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom