Eggcited for Eggs!

May 5, 2023
My second post of the night!

I have four Buff Orpington chickens that are 16 weeks old. Yesterday, my littlest chicken (Rosemary) started doing what I think is the submissive squat when I approach to pet her. I have read that once they start doing this, they are near to egg laying. Is 16 weeks too early? Should I start giving them oyster shell? I have been giving them a 50/50 mix of chick feed and layer feed since week 12. When do I know it's time to go to 100% layer feed?

Thanks so much for your help!

What do their combs look like? I usually switch them over to layer once their combs start reddening up.

It has been a while since I have had a young orpington, but I think some of them may lay around 16 weeks. It is more common in production breeds rather than heritage breeds to lay that soon, though, but you shouldn't be waiting that much longer.

16 weeks seems to early for a orpington to start laying even if she might be a runt. Just leave your feed the way it is.

I have pullets getting close to laying now. I've kept layer and high protein feed in separate containers from when they were a month old. Only because I have my older birds with them and some of them still lay.

What do their combs look like? I usually switch them over to layer once their combs start reddening up.

It has been a while since I have had a young orpington, but I think some of them may lay around 16 weeks. It is more common in production breeds rather than heritage breeds to lay that soon, though, but you shouldn't be waiting that much longer.

Attachments

• 16900236156682244999345051766100.jpg
    16900236156682244999345051766100.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 6
I just re-read your post. I would stick with what you are doing, and just switch to 100% layer when you see the first egg from her. She looks like she has a couple more weeks before she is laying.

Should I start giving them oyster shell?
You could provide oyster shell in a separate dish (not mixed with their feed) if you want to. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating it when they need it, and not when they don't. So it's a good way to let each bird get the right amount of calcium, even if they start laying at different times.

Back
Top Bottom