Does this egg indicate a problem?

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Good morning from Texas! I have an egg laying question that I’m hoping to gain insight on. I have a lavender Orpington that started laying around one month ago. At first her eggs were a smooth cream color however, for the last two weeks she lays a brown egg with raised white speckles. Does this indicate a problem, is there something I should do to address it?

She is 10 months old, eats Kalmbach 17% layer feed and has oyster shells on the side. My chickens don’t get too many treats other than greens and the occasional squash or fruit. Thank you for any input!

Pictures attached, her egg is in the middle there.

Attachments

• IMG_6883.jpeg
    IMG_6883.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6885.jpeg
    IMG_6885.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 14
Picture of her first egg for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_6892.jpeg
    IMG_6892.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 14
I think speckled eggs are neat, they aren't uncommon. Some suggest it has to do with how fast the egg turns in the oviduct, others contribute it to minerals, some suggest genetics plays a role, many have tried to figure it out just so they could get more speckled eggs!

Thank you! I guess I was confused about the bloom. Would raised, white bumps be considered bloom? They are very textured and not flat like my other speckled eggs.

I heard an old legend that a speckled egg means it will snow or rain soon! it's probably just a bit of extra bloom 😁
Weather is one of the factors...I don't remember if it is in hot weather or cold weather that you get more speckles. The white spots may just be extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom