Orpington/Silkie Cross?

Rennie

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Derbyshire, England
Today I noticed this hen has 5 toes , Do you think she has some silkie in her ? Or some other 5 toed breed ? ( Dont know any others)

43667_dsc00428.jpg

43667_dsc00429.jpg

My roo is a dorking I think...Forgot about him lol he deffinatley has 5 toes

I hope it is a dorking cross, then I wont have more then 2 breeds in my potential chicks
smile.png

edit : After googling Dorking hens I notice they have upright tails just like her .. Maybe she is a dorking cross afterall,

My buff has more of a rounded tail and a less prominate comb even though they are the same age, I wondered why they looked so different
smile.png

Last edited:
I have never heard of a silver birchen .. but now i have seen what they look like i totally agree, Is that a breed or just the markings ..and if its a breed do they have 5 toes ?

Is it possibley a "Silver birchen Dorking" ??

Last edited:
If talking variety names, silver birchen is birchen. If talking genetics, if is the birchen E-allele plus silver; gold birchen (variety is called brown red) would substitute gold for the silver.

Quote:
idunno.gif

So if im right in understanding what your saying ... I have a "Birchen Dorking" no silver needed to describe it ?

Yes Silver is not necessarily used to describe it because Birchin is typically used to describe the Silver Birchin color so really the Silver birchin part is not needed, but like Sonoran said, there is a gold birchin counter part that is called Brown Red in most breeds ( like Gamefowl) and Black Copper ( in Marans)
So Birchin is a color pattern, not a breed.

That being said, no I'm pretty sure that the Birchin color does not exist in Dorkings, Silver Grey Dorkings are genetically colored Silver Duckwing, not Birchin ( BTW in the case of describing Duckwing colors, you have to say Silver, Gold, or Red because there are those three base colors. )

So Dorkings are the breed with 5 toes, the Silver colored ones are named Silver Grey Dorkings but there genetic color name is Silver Duckwing, and you bird looks birchin, not silver duckwing, so I would say he is not a pure Dorking.

Back
Top Bottom