Orpington Thread

Yeah I'm a little afraid of how well I will be able to control myself. The barn is huge and there are more outbuildings than I know what to do with. It's like a dream! The property even comes with a grown Pyr that was raised on the land and has protected chickens and many other animals on that farm so we hope the birds will be safe and sound!

A working Pyr is about the best predator deterrent you can get. My Mastiff does a great job with a house/small yard, but they're too people orientated for a large property. He wants to be with ME, preferably TOUCHING me, at all times. Lammas do a pretty good job, too (that's what my friends up in the mountains have to run off mountain lions).

A working Pyr is about the best predator deterrent you can get. My Mastiff does a great job with a house/small yard, but they're too people orientated for a large property. He wants to be with ME, preferably TOUCHING me, at all times. Lammas do a pretty good job, too (that's what my friends up in the mountains have to run off mountain lions).

I agree. I've always had great luck with LGDs for guarding livestock and fowl. Some people have problems with them playing with or killing chickens but I seem to be able to introduce them and get them to accept the birds as their babies. I've never lost a bird to a predator *knock on wood* I hope the Pyr that comes with our new farm and this pup I'm raising up will be sufficient to keep my birds alive.

Nope. Only White, Black, Buff, and Blue are recognized colors.
Thank you, I was afraid of that. Back to the drawing board
idunno.gif
. I was hoping my son could show her in 4-h. I believe we met at the Modesto show a couple of weeks ago, did we?

Quote:
No, I didn't make it to that show. You might ask @TheKeeper over on the NorCal thread if she has anything he could show. I know she had several black orps a few weeks back and it looks like she's trying to make a little room in her coop. Also, I think he can do "showmanship" with a non-SOP bird if he wants to start out with that.

Last edited:
No, I didn't make it to that show. You might ask @TheKeeper over on the NorCal thread if she has anything he could show. I know she had several black orps a few weeks back and it looks like she's trying to make a little room in her coop. Also, I think he can do "showmanship" with a non-SOP bird if he wants to start out with that.
Oh, my mistake, I'm sorry. Thanks again, I just posted over thee in re: to the lil blue pullet she's selling. I got my chocolate from her the day of the show. I just absolutely adore her and I'm not bothered by the fact that she can't be shown I just have to get another bird for my son :). He's looking at Orpingtons and Plymouth Rocks (color doesn't really matter to him)

Last edited:
I was told once that when more people show off colors for non-SOP titles, it can help down the road when the attempts are made to get that color recognized. I've never shown, myself, so I can't speak for it personally.

Back
Top Bottom